• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nano Skimmers. :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
Will my Friends at OBD be Introducing a line of Quality Nano Size Skimmers any time soon? I know there are many others out there, Like Myself, who have AIO tanks. We are very limited to the selection of skimmers that will Fit our small Tanks.
I have the 34 gallon Solana, and because of the space Limitations, had to go with the Tunze 9002. This is one Finicky little skimmer. I have done all of the custom Mods, and am still not happy with its Production. I have heard there is a soon to be released, new and improved, 9002. Should I look into this, Or, Should I look forward to the OBD Nano Skimmer?

Will my Friends at OBD be Introducing a line of Quality Nano Size Skimmers any time soon? I know there are many others out there, Like Myself, who have AIO tanks. We are very limited to the selection of skimmers that will Fit our small Tanks.
I have the 34 gallon Solana, and because of the space Limitations, had to go with the Tunze 9002. This is one Finicky little skimmer. I have done all of the custom Mods, and am still not happy with its Production. I have heard there is a soon to be released, new and improved, 9002. Should I look into this, Or, Should I look forward to the OBD Nano Skimmer?

Shane,
I hope I am not speaking out of line here, but. One of the most important items that contributes to the success of OBDs skimmer is the ceramic air stone. ( Boss Hog). I dont believe that they make an air stone small enough to fit in a 3" or 4" tube.
I have thought about a small Air Driven Counter Current, if it is possible to cut a Boss Hog to fit in a smaller tube I feel it could be done.
What size is the chamber in your Solana that would house the skimmer? The skimmer may need to be a bit taller than the tank to get the proper contact time.

Yeah that's the problem with the aio tanks. Is the skimmer section doesn't leave very many options for skimmers. I did the wood stone and air pump. But didn't ever like the results. But I do believe eshopps has a very small skimmer that looks very promising http://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps_...ein_Skimmers-Eshopps-QH32001-FIPSHONW-vi.html
Or you could try a hob. A lot of ppl say the aquamaxx is very good. I just said screw it and drilled my jbj.

Optimus G

Yep we are working on a full nano style filtration system. One is going to be a box like unit with skimmers and reactors built into an acrylic unit that you can drop into an existing tank.Of course we can build them to suite a number of sizes but their are some limits as to how small we can go. The other will be a nano/cube still sump with similar equipment in it.

One of the challenges was the skimmer but I think I have that figured out, just a matter of prototyping which I am close to now.

mojo

Sweet!! Well I look forward to what you come up with! I will be the First in line to a replace the 9002, and have a Quality Skimmer. Please keep me in mind when the Roll Out begins, Hopefully it is sooner than later. :)

Dave, from my best Judgement, the Max size for the first chamber in the Solana would be 2-3/4". The Tunze is 2.2" x 4.5 x 8.6" with a Stock 4-3/4" Cup. I have the InTank Cup which is 2-3/4" x 4".

I would be interested too as I have a 34 solana and the stock skimmer with all the mods I have found doesn't do much to make it skim better or sound any quieter.

Dave, from my best Judgement, the Max size for the first chamber in the Solana would be 2-3/4". The Tunze is 2.2" x 4.5 x 8.6" with a Stock 4-3/4" Cup. I have the InTank Cup which is 2-3/4" x 4".

WOW that is pretty darn small!!!
I think your best option would be to just upgrade to a new OBD custom AIO made to your specs for the filtration side. And I will help you put together a skimmer for the back that will skim a 100 gal tank!!! LOL

Ok I am confused a little. I thought the back chamber was 4 inches front to back (except where it bevels) and their were no compartments?? WHere is the 2 3/4 coming from??

Mike, the back chamber is 4" and yes, it does bevel. Chamber 1 has basically a 1" x 3" compartment for the overflow. 2-3/4" is the amount of room left to put the skimmer behind the overflow wall, leaving about 1/4" of wiggle room.

Here is a quick pic that better shows my description :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33 KB
Last edited:
Here is another

2013-02-24_12-16-41_488_zps39a7c183.jpg

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Yes it is. Its actually loose in ours.

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

i put a slim skim in the center compartment fits perfectly

but am waiting on obd to make an aio sump for this tank to go under stand then will drill the tank and hook up.

I wouldn't cut it out in my Solana. There are to many scratches in the glass on mine. I will see what size of skimmer you design and have custom rear chambers done for and AIO.

Back