nano tank problems :(

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do a really good look around. I remember when I first started freaking out when I saw a hermit crab body on the tank bottom. Turned out that the little guy had just molted. The molt looks a LOT more solid than I would have expected. It's at least a possibility!

Good luck!

Josh

hmm i didnt think about that... his shell was sitting there and i didnt inspect it... yeah i bought some extra shells and put them in the tank for them. he even took one of those shells. i was thinking maybe the shells might not have been clean enough. but ill check to see if he is still moving around. the one i removed looked identical to the crab so i dont think it was a molt. could be though ill look.

I ended up placing a bid on some T-5 lamps Included 2 x 24w 10000k blue and 2 x 24w 10000k white

I think that should do fine for my needs. 70$ :| but hey thats the price to play i guess, and it will be new.

I started freaking out though thinking it was my water and maybe things where dying because of spikes! Are hermits pretty hearty?

I'm sure it's just the crab died or molted. I've lost them in my tank. I think from fighting with each other for shells more than anything. Their funny little creatures. You can have all kinds of shells in there but I swear that they'll fight with another crab to get it's shell.

Wasn't you that was going to get your water tested? if so what where the numbers. Just out of curiosity sake.

Edit: They're also fun to watch around feeding time.. I've seen mine jump off the rocks to get to the bottom to get to the food missed by the fish.

hmm should i be feeding my hermit?

yeah yeah i know i am going to get it tested hopefully today.right after work maybe...

no your not feeding them directly.... but when the tank gets fed (fish) so do they....

its hard to tell between death of hermits and molts.... what ive noticed is (stick with me)

there butts.... if there butt is uncomplete it is a molt... and it will look just like they do....
If there butts have little side feet on em.... its dead....

its eazy 2 tell once you noticed.... there molts split and get pulled forward

when they die you will uselly see them hanging outta there shell.. or close by the shell they where in... and there body will be complete with rear end...

stick in there..... nothing happens fast here...

Alright so i got tank readings last night and im zero across the board! YAY! Time for fish and corals and fun fun fun :p ... they said i was a little low on calcium though so i don't know what i would do about that.

Just get some 2 part stuff like this.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=TLF-CB2A&Category_Code=TLF

You can also get just some calc. additive.
But I'd recommend the 2 part since you're going to start to add live stock to the tank, you'll need to start to add ALK and CALC to keep things in balance.

But I wouldn't start to add additives to your tank unless you can test from the yourself. Right now instead of livestock I would invest in some good tests kits (Salifert) and start testing and keeping track of your water params. Taking water back and forth to the LFS store is fine for maybe checking or to validate your testing done at home, but for routine water checks it's kind of pain. Again, don't start adding additives to the water unless you can test for them. I've read multiple threads where some has add stuff to their tank and wasn't testing for it and got everything all out of wack. IE. Calc extremely high while ALK extremely low or vice versa.

Other than that it sounds like your off to a good start.

Edit: BTW, add slowly since it's a new tank. Adding to fast can create a small cycle. The the bacteria level might not be suffcient to handle a large spike in waste caused by adding to much to fast.

Last edited:
Yeah test kits are mighty expensive :|. i dont know i think ill add the live coral there are just 2 frags. and then maybe a clown or would that be to much to fast?

3-4 fish in a 12g would be a overboard in 1 shot. 4 fish in a 12g would be max I'd even consider putting in there and they would have to stay pretty small. Personally I think I would put pair of clowns in it. As for corals I'd say your fine for to add what ever your light will support.

ok would shrimps be considered fish as well. i planed on doing maybe a pair of clowns a pistol shrimp and a goby, that would be my max. do you know if that would ok. and if i wanted to add a cleaner shrimp would something eat it?

oh side note it will take me a while to get all of that.

my lights will be here in about 3-4 days they are
# Aluminum body is lightweight, heavy duty and rust proof
# Accommodates ultra efficient, high output T-5 lamps Included 2 x 24w 10000k blue and 2 x 24w 10000k white
# Two switches and 1 power-cords Cool operation and NO noise
# 2.5 inches high
# Mounting Leg : Included
# save electronic

Your max should be fine. Not sure of the capability with a pistol and cleaner since I don't have any experience with a pistol. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

i was talking to a neighbor and he tells me the pistol shrimp would be a bad idea so im not going that route. i just got a bangii cardal *gift* i was wondering what it eats? it didnt seem to excited about the food pelets i tryed to feed it. im getting some brime shrimp today to give that a try. any suggestions on care for this thing?

I'd try some frozen foods, but since it was a gift I'd assume you know you the owner was. Why not ask them what they feed it.

ON Formula 1 & 2

yeah it was from blue serria fish store. i got it some dried brine shrimp, seems to love those.

YAY im excited everything is working very well...

oh one more thing then ill be done. i have a neighbor offering me a wet dry filter sump, i think its about a 5 gallon one. with bio balls included. what is a reasonable price for it and should i consider this for my filtering so i don't have to worry about changing my filters all the time. thats 3$ every 2 weeks id be saving.

Back