Naso not eating!!!!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SeaMonster

started this morning. She's hanging out on the bottom, not moving much at all. no sign of stress or disease on any of my fish, everyone's fat and happy. any ideas?

Is this a new fish or have you had it for a while???? (assuming that it is the one in the avatar.)

-augustus

I've had her for 9-10 months. she was perfectly fine last night! actively swimming and feeding. she's now in the rocks with her tail sticking out :(

this makes no scene at all. the only issue with my tank is nitrates 8-10 right now which I have lowered in the past week or so, that should not kill a big healthy tang! how can she go from 100% happy to half dead in under 24 hours??????

I have always fed hear all foods including frozen brine, frozen mysis, nori red and green, etc. I keep her well fed, theyre all pretty chubby

She is now showing her stress colors and is a little side ways....guess I'll go dig a hole in the back yard:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

n=5-10 is the only thing wrong with the tank right now.

shes the boss no one bothering her. lots of surface agitation/coast to coast over flow, big skimmer, guessing oxygen levels are fine.

She is now laying sideways in the corner

LOOK WHAT I FOUND on another forum:

"I have a naso tang with a foxface and I saw my naso brush against the fox when her spines were extended and watched the naso sink to the bottom for a couple hours...The color drained away and I thought she was dying....Apparently she was stung by accident I hope...She is fine now and the two of them swim side by side all day. Maybe this is similar to what may have happened to you?"

I BOUGHT A LARGE FOXFACE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope its something easy like that. Another member here lost his naso for no apparent reason just as quickly as yours developed. I'm routing for ya.

I am sorry to hear of this problem and I hope your fish pulls through, mine did not and it went so fast...:cry:

Matt

Sorry about your loss. Respectfully, can google any named fish and dying and will get many, just as one can insert fat or thriving and will get many more.

To the point, your fish died which is sad, need to try to determine the cause so it can be fixed or prevent further potential losses.

Another asked how the skimmer is doing?
What is causing nitrates to be high?
Frequency of Water changes?
PH, temp, tank parameters stability?
Room to hide/rest?
How other fish are doing?

Keep in mind, adding a new fish changes a lot. Even though the Fox is a obvios suspect, the addition on a new large fish definately changed the balance in the bacteria and filtration. Keep looking, see if there is something that can be fixed.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Thanks Mike,

Skimmer is doing great
WC's: once every2-3 weeks
N: to high due to lack of WC's which has changed now
Other fish: doing excellent, naso was doing excellent also till 24 hours prior to death
PH and temp: very stable for many months
Lots of room to swim and hide. 300g long with tons of LR

So as far as I can tell high N is the only issue (being corrected now) which unless I am totally wrong, should not kill a large healthy fish over night, right? I should see signs of stress days prior to death. or smaller weaker fish should go first.

Thanks again for your input everyone.

Keep a lookout for any new disease but pretty fast for that to be the cause.
Ya, looking more and more like it could have been a territorial battle from the new fish addition. Sword fighter against a poison knife: the tang lost

Did the tang look like it had to wedge itself in the rocks (when you said it was in the rocks with its tail sticking out)?

Did the tang look like it had to wedge itself in the rocks (when you said it was in the rocks with its tail sticking out)?

it came out of the rocks, jerked around a bit and laid in the corner. I found her wrapped all the way around a MJ mod this morning.

Back