Nasty Crab!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snailcrazy

Tortman
I've just discovered a large ugly hairy legged crab in my 55 gallon reef. Did'nt get a very good look at it but noticed it is about the size of a 50 cent piece and has a lot of black hair on it's legs. I've not added live rock to this tank for at least 2 years (4 year old tank) and believe I've not lost any coral due to the crab. However I have reason to believe it has taken out 3 helfrichi firefish and 5 common firefish and several other rock dwelling fish over the last year or two. Water para. are good so I'm certain the crab ate them. I tried the bottle trap and have recently hand built a miniature crab trap using popsicel stick and netting only to catch about 40 hermits and sand sifting snails the next mornings. If anyboady has any experience in catching crabs I'd love some advice. I have over 170 pounds of live rock and tons of coral so really don't want to empty the tank unless I have to. Had to do it a couple of years ago do to a pest and didn't find it until I got to the very last rock. If anybody could help it would be very much appreciated. Oh yea Used to live in Norway when I was a kid and had fjord front property. We used to take snails and tie them to fishing line and fish crabs all day long right off our property. Was so close to getting it out that way Twice! I guess if I keep trying it might work but there has to be a better way. LOL

I remember BobinCovington had a great idea for catching crabs in a pint beer glass I believe...you might PM him or look thru the archive...Bob is a nice guy and has a great idea, I remember that thread because I thought it was cool...but it's been a while...good luck with the hairy beast!

here's a nasty one I caught

Do you know what kind of crab that is?? I actually found that same type of crab in my sump when I pulled out all of my bioballs...actually I found it dead and dried out in the box I threw all the balls into. Just curious if this is a dangerous crab to watch for.

Last edited:
LED flashlight, caught him out and about turned on the halide (3am)eheim pinchers . So easy , got lucky.

glad you caught it. im still fighting a pesty mantis shrimp i thought my interceptor treatment would have killed. Nope just my luck it lived and now its pissed

Back