Natural salt mix or manmade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sausage fingers

Hi,

Having just recently got involved with marines I was staggered to find that there was such a variety of salts available all claiming to do this and that.
My question is, are the manmade mixes better than the mostly natural mixes i settled on The Red Sea mix which is mostly natural, just a thought.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I use Instant Ocean. It has been around for a long time, is consistant in its balance makeup, so I know how to buffer it for my reef.

I think the biggest thing with Salt Mixes is... for it to be consistant for you, and you to be happy with the results.

I use Reef Crystals (RC) which is the same Instant Ocean (IO) that Ed uses but with extra trace elements.

Hey Ed, why do you use IO instead of RC? Do you dose trace elements allowing you better control?

I use Instant Ocean... because it is ALWAYS the same consistancy for me. Doesn't fluxtuate between batches, so I don't have to constantly test to see where I'm starting out at with each bucket.

Then, I'm able to just buffer my Calcium & Mag... and I'm good to go.

For me, that consistancy is important. Of course, it doesn't hurt that its cheaper than Reef Crystal's also. :p

I've always used Instant Ocean and it has always done me well. I live in the Bahamas, but still prefer to mix my own than to go out and get some out of the ocean. i guess I'm weird:p

I really dislike the red sea mix it has some problems....

Instant Ocean, Tropic Marin, or Sera are your best bets. Being in europe, I could only hope that Sera and Tropic Marin would be cheaper for you.

-Josh-:cool:

i use, Tropic marine,

havent had any problems, i dont let it sit over night or anything like that,

just 2 cups fill the bucket with RODI and mix mix mix

Hi,

The Red Sea mix which is mostly natural, just a thought.

Thanks in advance

Red sea is no more natural than any other salt. There is no perfect salt but there plenty of good salts. Personally I like IO, reef crystals just isnt worth the added expense. I thing salt makers think that reefers are made of money, and can justify charging way to much for a few tsp of ca chloride or mg.
If I were to upgrade or even if thats possible I'd go with Reefers Best. Until I strike oil or win the lotto i'll stick with IO.:)

Don

I really dislike the red sea mix it has some problems....

Instant Ocean, Tropic Marin, or Sera are your best bets. Being in europe, I could only hope that Sera and Tropic Marin would be cheaper for you.

-Josh-:cool:

Hi,

You say it has some problems and I was wondering what you meant by that as i planned to continue using Red Sea.

IO salt over here in UK is a cheaper salt and with that old maxim in mind you get what you pay for i chose to go middle of road as far as cost was concerned.

Thanks to all who posted replies the answer was what i thought it would be "If it works for you carry on using it"

Thanks in advance

A family friend is a marketing agent. His new project is for a ukranian vodka. Over there it sells for $2 us. If you sold it for that much here no one would buy it because:
and with that old maxim in mind you get what you pay for

They are selling it at absolute vodka prices because "taste wise" they are in the same class. I think that adage is more hamful than its worth.

All this coming from a guy who usually gets the top notch equiptment.

Hi,

You say it has some problems and I was wondering what you meant by that as i planned to continue using Red Sea.

IO salt over here in UK is a cheaper salt and with that old maxim in mind you get what you pay for i chose to go middle of road as far as cost was concerned.

Thanks to all who posted replies the answer was what i thought it would be "If it works for you carry on using it"

Thanks in advance

Sausage,

Yes, you do get what you pay for... true. Instant Ocean here, is also one of the cheaper mixes. Like I stated though, it is one of the most consistant mixes that I have found also... and, yes, it "Works for me". :)

That IS the important part. If you like the consistancy... how it mixes... understand any buffereing your piticular brand may require... thats half (probably 95%) the battle with our salt!

Hi,

Thanks for that will try some myself next time it seems that IO salt is the one of choice for many so that in its self tells a thousand words.

Thanks again

i use to use IO now i use reef crystals. its only like $3-$4 more for a 160gal mix bucket. $2 more for the 50gal mix bag. well worth it for the extra Ca, Mg and stuff.

Back