Need a little barebottom help. Good bottome feeder recomendation...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz
I have been bare bottom and love it. But I would like to get something on those few pockets that I just cant seem to keep free of detritus. More power heads...sure, but I already have lots of electricity spent on power heads.
In fact so many I wish I had less because the cords are unsightly. Currently I siphon it out when I do WC, but that doesnt eliminate it 100%.

So....Plan "B":
What would be a good 3-6" fish that could pick clean the half dozen small pockets that seem to be crap traps.
I dont need exotic, something $30-50 range would keep my happy. I suppose I could add more inverts. But I really would rather try a fish.

It would be a "crap shoot" (get it??? LOL) at best. The odds of getting a fish that will consume that particular detritus would be hard to come up with. If you happen to figure out which one you need to go to VEGAS quickly and start betting HEAVY :) because you're on a lucky streak my friend :)

Ever think of an Urchin or 2?

Diet: Sea urchins eat plant and animal matter, including kelp, decaying matter, algae, dead fish, sponges, mussels, and barnacles.

I've also never heard of a fish that would consume detritus either. Have you tried redirecting your flow some if you have as many powerheads as you say you do to see if the waste can collect in an area easily accessible than where it does now? Let us know...Remember, everything that eats, poops as well so it may be counter productive adding something to eat detritus if it will just poop out waste back into the tank.

Just a few thoughts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont think its good to have bottom dwelling fish on a bare bottom. i know alot of people lobe bb tanks but i really dont see how it looks good. i prefer sand. even though its a pain in the butt with a ton of flow such as in an sps tank it looks so much better than a bare bottom with algae and all that organic waste. what i would do is get some zoas and star polyps and set them on the bottom and theyll cover that bottom like carpet! it looks even better than sand!!

as for a detritus eating fish i dont think there is such thing. just get a better CUC to get all the food and waste eaten before it becomes all that gross stuff.

i had a friend who had a small school in a 400 gallon tank. they need large tanks as they get fairly large and really prefer to be in schools so a very large tank. also they are venomous spines.

Back