Need a skimmer recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I need to change skimmers. I have an ASM G3 and it is not doing much and I need to skim better. My skimmer is in the sump and the G3 takes up the whole area.

I have a 125 gal mixed reef with 40 gal sump and probably too many fish. All suggestions welcome.

It just does not produce much. It takes weeks to get the cup 1/2 full. It makes crud, but really slowly. If I raise the level, it tends to over flow with bubbles.

Skimmer

So, here's a pic after about 3 weeks collection.

So, Skimmy, what is your recommendation?

Attachments

• Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    35.2 KB
u might want to clean your cup well before it gets half full also. u will produce much more efficiently if u clean the neck of the skimmer at least every 3-4 days. thats some pretty nasty gunk though :)

Yeah it is nasty, but it took about a month to get that much. I am think a new skimmer is in order.
I recently switched to more spa and I need to do a much better job of skimming.

Considering the Extreme 200 any thoughts about it?

the extreme 200 is a great skimmer design, and the main issue that it had has been addressed,
the sicce psk 2500 pump which was problematic when modded for protein skimmer use has been changed
out with the newer digitally controlled, sicce psk 1000, so no start up or directional issues like before,
which was the trade off for insane air injection at low watts. now you get the best of both.
the body design is inspired by the german ATI protein skimmer, with the new extreme 200 adding a cone
transition to the neck.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I ordered the new skimmer and have not heard from them. It is on back order, could be several more weeks. I contacted them today and the apologized and offered the extreme 250 for the same price. Too bad it would not fit in my sump!

I ordered the new skimmer and have not heard from them. It is on back order, could be several more weeks. I contacted them today and the apologized and offered the extreme 250 for the same price. Too bad it would not fit in my sump!

Too bad it won't fit is right. Are you sure you cant mod the sump?

The 200 is going to need to be on an angle to fit as it is. I would love to have the larger one.

Man, that would have been a score!! Is the sump able to be changed, or is a height issue??

I had a height issue in my cabinet which dictated to me what skimmer I could run on my 120 gallon system. It Sucked!!

This is coming from a guy who has a height issue period.....5'7". Lmao

Hopefully you get your new skimmer soon, which ever one you may choose...:)

I have the height, my sump is only 14.75" due to the stand depth. I am going to wait on the backordered skimmer and see if I can get a discount.

Back