Need a skimmer recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK, Finally got the new skimmer today. Took a little over a month, but got a nice discount for waiting. Here is a pic right after it was plugged in.

If it was 1/4" larger, I would have had to modify the sump.

Attachments

• NewSkimmer2.jpg
    NewSkimmer2.jpg
    41.2 KB
very nice...
you might have to make a little eggcrate or acrylic stand,
the water level seems a bit "deep" in that section.
in the instructions,
does the manufacturer suggest an optimum height for the water level in the sump?

Actually, the minimum water level is only 1/2" below where the water is. The max level is above the neck of the cone on the neck of the collection cup. Here is a closer pic. I was surprised it was so high. I added a couple gallons to the sump to get the level higher.

Attachments

• NewSkimmer level.jpg
    NewSkimmer level.jpg
    39.1 KB
I agree water level in sump still too high for that skimmer ( will get dryer skimate if lowered). should be 7-9 inches. when you have a power outage that skimmer ( i run the same one) is going to oveflow the collection cup an dump that crud into the sump.

ALSO, I notice you have the outlet of the skimmer pointed straight back at the intake. I would point it in the exact oposite direction so the skimmer is taking in dirty water and not recyling skimmed water. you want to intake from the display and output towards the return.

I uses two 45 degree white pvc elbows just loosely shoved inside the output and angle them down to the water level to take care of bubbles and noise.

So, the markings on the skimmer for min and max water levels are wrong? I would prefer to run the sump level lower than it is. The lower min level mark is at 11" on the skimmer.

Hey Jim, I have the older model 200 Extreme and really like it. The water level mark is for the inside (optimal performance level) which you control with outlet valve. I had the ASM G-3 on an older system that I gave up when setting up my 75g... not alot of bang for the bucks spent on it for sure.

Cheers, Todd

<<< My new Avitar Krish gave me

Todd,

ah....I wonder about your new avatar...thinking, who the heck is that dude...hahahahahahahahah

yes, as mentioned, those water levels printed on the skimmer body are for the internal water level,
not the water level in your sump.
most sicce pump driven skimmers like about 7-9".
then the other thing you can do is cut the piece of plumbing on the return below the valve, so that the valve outlet sits below the water level in your sump and makes no noise...
like it is now, but it will be out of the water most likely if you lower the sump water level.

Last edited:
I just built an acrylic stand for the skimmer. Should make the level just below 9". The skimmer is doing well with higher level, should be great after it is raised up. Then I can crank the flow a bit more.

The skimmer is raised up now, getting it tuned. It is starting to suck gunk now.
I emptied it last night mostly of water, but it smelled amazingly nasty. Never had that with the old one.

Attachments

• Skimmer2.jpg
    Skimmer2.jpg
    56.1 KB
Back