Need advice for Return pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow! I really appreciate all the advice. I am in the process of doing alot more research.

Also, just to clarify - another reason I want a little more flow from my return is that I am manually basting the rocks every day to keep the red mat algae at bay. My thought is that more flow from the returns in the bottom of the tank will help push the teeny particulate matter up where the powerheads can keep it suspended until it washes over the overflow. My returns are all blowing into the rocks and I think thats were I lose alot of the flow.

I will post again after I have made a change to let you all know what I did and how it works out.

Thanks again for all the great info.
Jill

So I replaced the Coralife pump with the Reeflow Goby and I put a powerhead on the small wall across from the weir. The powerhead isn't that pretty but I was able to hide the power cord in the corner seam by drilling a hole in the top corner of the tank.

The micro bubble problem went away immediately and my flow increased - I can measure it by how fast the sump drains when I replace water during my water change. Nitrates remain at zero, the skimmer is working great and the clarity of the tank is unbelievable. All fish, coral and inverts seem very happy. I will post a picture one of these days when I get my act together.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

That’s great!
Sound like you found the best solution for your problem and it work out excellent.
Thanks for the update on that.

Back