Need advice on controlling Ca Rx

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

I've been using a Milwaukee ph monitor with its probe attached to my Ca Rx, and over the last year I'm not sure it's doing a good job to keep my alk stable. My alk keeps drifting, one way or the other over the course of a few days and my tank is unforgiving of this (Zeovit system and bare bottom). Corals have been suffering.

I have an AC III that I use but not for controlling my Ca Rx. Do you think this would be more accurate? Apparently the Milwaukee has a .2 pt precision variance...

advice on what would be a more accurate way to control the alk on my system? When I adjust the ph level on the Milwaukee, the dial is not very precise and it tends to overshoot one way or the other, leading to the adjustment I will need to do a few days later....

I have the same problem with the dial on my Milwaukee. I spend 5-10 minutes screwing with it to try to make minor adjustments. A fraction of a turn in either direction changes the bubble count dramatically. Id say an eighth of a turn is all that separates 0 bubbles from about 100 a minute... I personally have never used a CA controller, I just set the drip and the bubbles, makes sure the ph is at the right level, then let it run. Good luck andI hope you find something that works for you.

I use my RKE to control my Ca Rx because it allows my to shut down and start-up my CO2 based on a very narrow set of params. So even if it isn't accurate to the .000001, it's only going to read high or low, shouldn't vary between the two and you can adjust your params accordingly.

thanks for the feedback.

Mike, Kalk reactors are not compatible with Zeovit, so no-can-use....

jan,,i do not belived the number just on one ph meter,,i do have several ph meters to compare with,,JMO
BTW,,your T-tort is growing ready to go anytime when ever you're ready(no i have not forget about it):D

Hi Dang :)

thanks for your post. I haven't forgotten either but I want to have maximum stability in my system. I think I'm going to add sand in one of my tanks in the sump-room for that reason, then get my Ca Rx/controller situation figured out and fixed. I hope to be ready soon. :) Thanks again or your post...

IMO, the brand of the controller isnt really going to be an issue on any Ca reactor if things are set up right. Pinpoint, Milwaukee, AC Jr, III, Pro, RK2 all basically work the same as long as theyre calibrated right. Most, use a low set point that shuts the CO2 off when the reactor Ph drops to it. Its up to you to have the CO2 needle valve set high enough to achieve that without the bubble count being so high that your wasting the CO2. Ive been running my reactor for over two years without once touching the set point on my Milwaukee controller other than to comensate for growth. I do however have to adjust the drip rate frequently due to minor clogging (slowing) and mess with the needle valve after I put a fresh tank on the system.
IMO the effluent drip rate and the bubble count are the two factors that keep the alk stable. Not the controller. It is only a tool to help you know how quickly your melting the media and to keep from melting it too fast. For instance I let my reactor drop to 6.6 before shutting off the CO2. My bubble count is rather fast at around 60 a minute. My drip rate is a broken stream. If I speed up my drip rate, the reactor never drops below 6.8 . The same if I slow the bubble count. This combo works to keep my alk stable between 10 and 11 DKH depending on the month.

Ive found that a Ca reactor is not a hands off piece of equipment for months on end. I check my drip rate daily when I feed, and once or twice a month I have to open the rate valve and purge the line of any build up that causes the rate to slow.
In your case Jan, I think that the type or reactor you have could be part of the issue. Due to the media type and ball valve combo. I think that the media causes a ground down slurry to be added to the line causing the drip rate to be an issue.
Id bet if you do a poll, you'll find that your reactor and media is one of the least common on the market. There is a reason for that other athan cost.

Last edited:
Back