Need Advice on Filters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kyle_yokomo

I have a 29gal reef tank that I have started, and right now Im running 2 over the back basic filters. Ive been doing 30% water changes every week to keep water levels correct. I want to upgrade my filtration system, and have been looking at the CPR Bak-Pak 2 , Canister filters, and some others.

Can someone help me on a good filter for my tank.

The AquaClear HOB filters make great filters for a tank that size....HOWEVER, remove all the filtration media. It will quickly become a nitrate factory. You can easily turn those filters into small refugiums for your tank. I've done it with several.

Canister filters will be great for added flow but again, remove all media or it'll also become a nitrate factory. You can use them to place Carbon in though.

Filtration in saltwater tanks can be totally handled with the right quantity of live rock, live sand, adequate flow and protein skimming.

A good protein skimmer for that tank would be an AquaC Remora HOB.

So I should look towards a good skimmer, rather than a canister filter?

Also witch is better, AquaC Remora or CPR Bak-Pak

Out of those 2 the aquac probably performs the best. What type of corals are you keeping?

i used to have a canister filter and the best thing i ever did was taking it of the tank what a waste of time leave them for the fresh water aquarist to much around with

Ok thanks for the help, as you can tell Im a new guy. I think i will look into a AquaC Remora and maybee the CPR Bak Pak as I have heard good things on both.

Hello;

IMHO --- I have both fresh and salt tanks for over 30-years. I cannot believe what I hear about filtering! "My tank has no filter and it works fine --- I change 30% of the water a week"

WOW --- I change about 2-gallons in my Fluval when I change my filter floss and rinse out my prefilters in the lower basket once a week on my REEF!

You need a filter that filters and a nitrate sink like chaeto algae. The best filter in the world is a wet/dry with bio balls and the second is the UGF period. I use UGF's in all my tanks and my reef has the left 1/3 filtered by a UGF. The second filter in my tank is a Fluval canister, the third is a skimmer, and the fourth is a sump with Chaeto.

Get a good skimmer --- it removes waste before breakdown by the biological filters and reduces nitrates. Your filters are fine just rinse the media out once a week to remove larger waste to reduce nitrates. All filters that are working reduce waste to nitrate --- the best filters produce the most nitrate because they are the best at breaking down waste!

If live rock and deep sand beds really did all the work --- why change all that water? Just add lost nutrients, trace elements, and minerals!

Water changes are a poor substitute for a well set up system!

Try reading some of Reef Central's articles --- by Randy holmes Farley, etc. These writers are chemists and PHD's who know what they are doing and back it up with test data etc.

When it comes down to your tank you are the one who decides on the maintenance. I urge you to read all you can so you can make good decisions.

Enjoy!

Back