Need advice on hair algae eater for 12g nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MC Lighting

A Little Overboard!
So the 12g that I aquired has a hair algae problem that is starting to take over there is a bi-color Pseudochromis in the tank what in the world can I put in with him that will help eat the algae? Water chagnes are weekly and all of the levels seem to be fine skimmer is doing its thing quite well for a little cheapy just need something to munch on it... Thanks for the advice

One mexican turbo snail should do the job. I had a bloom when I started up my tank and two of these guys took care of the HA in 2 weeks.

ok got 2 mexican turbos for the tank we shall see how they do then one can move into the 180 so the other does not starve when they get it under control....

I didn't realize that clown gobies ate much algae. I thought they were mostly meat-eaters.

i think they are sand burrowers which they turn the sand and eat SOME of the algaes in it but not mainly but they do help to turn over the sand which would also help out with algae blooms on substrate, but hed also have to take into consideration his other stock and the gobies attitude, which i think is mild manored

I have a clown goby that will eat mysis shrimp in 75 gal tank...Once I move it to the 29 gal sps tank, he has been eating my blue millie every single day. I tried to move my millie to many diff locations but that is the only sps it is interested in and keep coming back.....the blue millie is kind of dying since day 1 so it is not that much of a loss even though I am try to save it in many ways...but honestly this goby the tummy is alwyas full ever since I moved it into my sps tank. The only other food it will eat nowdayas is live brine shrimp.

Yeah I'm glad my yellow clown goby got eatin up by a crab I just recently killed! That thing always hopped from one sps to another nipping at them. I noticed my poylps on my sps extend longer now that it is gone out of my tank.

That agrees with what I had read about clown gobies (all except the milli-snacking).
A rainfordi's gobie will eat some algae, doesn't grow very big, and has interesting personality. But you must have a fine sandbed.

Clown gobies are not sand dwellers they perch from coral to coral and have their favorites they like to chomp on. :) They won't do anything to help your algae issue.

I thought all gobies did the same thing cause I had a pink spotted goby before and my god he was like a sand storm starter

I just recommended that goby cause it was smaller but I thought I read it was a sand burrower in the marine fish book

There are many types of gobys some perch and some sand sift and some... well likes to nip at corals lol. Sorry Mike lets get this thread back on track.

Back