Need advice on Kalk setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

I've been using kalk for 1.5 years now. I've come to the realization that my method of dosing kalk may or may not be a good one. I need some advice on whether my kalk dosing method is a good one or not. So please read the details on my dosing method below and let me know what you think:

I dose kalk through my ro/di reservoir. A 15g tank is filled with ro/di water and used for top offs. The top offs are automated with the use of a JBJ auto top off controller. When I fill the ro/di water every weekend, I also mix the proper amount of kalk into it. I make sure to mix it in good. So basically everytime the JBJ contoller dumps top off water into the sump, it is also dosing kalk. The top offs occur once evey 2 hours(approx.) and amount to probably 3-4 cups of total liquid per top off. In the tank that holds the ro/di water and kalk mix, there's no powerhead stirring it either.

So in my eyes, i'm not necessarily dripping kalk, which would probably be even better, but i'm still adding small amounts of kalk incrementally throughout the day. But i'm still looking for advice on if this is a good method or not. If my method is flawed, and could be significantly improved, I would consider a kalk reactor, but i don't know if this is necessary. My ph runs 7.9-8.1 throughout the day/night.

Thanks!

Depends on the pump that your topping off with. What pump is the jbj controlling.

Don

it's a maxi jet 600,

when the jbj turns on the mj 600, it's on for approx. 10 seconds.

it's a maxi jet 600,

when the jbj turns on the mj 600, it's on for approx. 10 seconds.

Then thats the only thing I would change. The 600 is WAY to big. A aqualifter but preferably a peri pump is the way to go. Other than that your good to go.

Don

Can you recommend a couple of peri pumps? I maybe be upgrading to a 150g tank this summer so keep that in mind.

Can you recommend a couple of peri pumps? I maybe be upgrading to a 150g tank this summer so keep that in mind.

I can think of a few ranging from $90 to $300:) How many gpd is your total evap. The $90 ones are basic fixed flow and are very durable pump but have no bells or whistles.

Don

I can think of a few ranging from $90 to $300:) How many gpd is your total evap. The $90 ones are basic fixed flow and are very durable pump but have no bells or whistles.

Don

I've got 1.5g of evap per day.

Besides the dosing pump question...i've got a few others. I read in another post you said to stir up the sediment twice a day for 5 minutes or so. When i initially add kalk to my reservoir, i stir it up good, then dump it into the reservoir. The reservoir has a nice little layer of white powder from the kalk on the bottom. Should I be mixing that up with an mj?? And should I be adding the same amount of kalk every week if i've got all that powerder laying on the bottom of the reservoir??

Thanks

Oh, one other thing. I recently picked up a geo calcium reactor. I'll be installing that this week. Without getting to indepth about why i got it and whatnot, I'm wondering if i should stop dosing kalk, continue or kind of just experiement with it (watch it for a while and see what happens with no kalk ect.).

I've got 1.5g of evap per day.

Besides the dosing pump question...i've got a few others. I read in another post you said to stir up the sediment twice a day for 5 minutes or so. When i initially add kalk to my reservoir, i stir it up good, then dump it into the reservoir. The reservoir has a nice little layer of white powder from the kalk on the bottom. Should I be mixing that up with an mj?? And should I be adding the same amount of kalk every week if i've got all that powerder laying on the bottom of the reservoir??

Thanks

Oh, one other thing. I recently picked up a geo calcium reactor. I'll be installing that this week. Without getting to indepth about why i got it and whatnot, I'm wondering if i should stop dosing kalk, continue or kind of just experiement with it (watch it for a while and see what happens with no kalk ect.).

I would not stop dosing kalk. Does the kalk keep up with ca and alk demand now? Not much in the way of evap so I'd use the omega peristaltics. They cost about $90 after shipping and are very stout. I would stir as much as is needed to keep the ph up on the kalk mix, as close to 12 as possible. May take some experimentation.

Don

the kalk does NOT keep up with the demand. I have to supplement with turbo CA weekly.

Alk on the otherhand, i'm not sure. I've gone through 2 different test kits that I could never get good readings from. So i just quiteworrying about alk altogether. I've since decided I NEED to find out my alk demands, so i'm trying to find an accurate way to measure it. I used seachem and some other off brand before and they just didn't work. I could never tell when the colors changed during the testing so i just gave up on those kits.

so if you've got any advice on how to measure alk, i'm all ears.

Last edited:
the kalk does NOT keep up with the demand. I have to supplement with turbo CA weekly.

Alk on the otherhand, i'm not sure. I've gone through 2 different test kits that I could never get good readings from. So i just quiteworrying about alk altogether. I've since decided I NEED to find out my alk demands, so i'm trying to find an accurate way to measure it. I used seachem and some other off brand before and they just didn't work. I could never tell when the colors changed during the testing so i just gave up on those kits.

so if you've got any advice on how to measure alk, i'm all ears.

Salifert test kit. :)

Don

DO you still dose kalk? I read that in a post not long ago that you quit dosing kalk, and you just run a ca-x because it wasn't helping with your PH enough.

I'll get the salifert kit, along with the mag kit as well (cause i've never measured that either). Then i'll either get an aqualifter or a dosing pump to take care of the top offs. I'll also stir up the kalk/top off reservoir more to make sure the ph is close to 12.

DO you still dose kalk? I read that in a post not long ago that you quit dosing kalk, and you just run a ca-x because it wasn't helping with your PH enough.

I'll get the salifert kit, along with the mag kit as well (cause i've never measured that either). Then i'll either get an aqualifter or a dosing pump to take care of the top offs. I'll also stir up the kalk/top off reservoir more to make sure the ph is close to 12.

Your right I dont use kalk any longer. I'm recommending you continue the kalk based on your experience level. Get some experience with your new reactor before you make any decisions.

Don

one final question Don. Will the calcium reactor help keep alk levels up?

thanks for all the help.

one final question Don. Will the calcium reactor help keep alk levels up?

thanks for all the help.

It will take care of ca alk and a portion of the mg. Basicly your melting down coral skeletons.

Don

After reading most of the article (i kind of skimmed through the chemistry stuff on degredation), my system of kalk delivery isn't all that bad. The sediment (calcium carbonate) laying at that bottom of my top off reservoir isn't necessaryily a good supplement. But I can stir the mixture a few times a day to reactivate it? And vinegar can be used to further get more out of the entire process.

So this is what I'm thinking. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I should stir the sediment up a few times a day. But I should also add more kalk weekly. Therefore, my question is; is there a point at which too much sediment can accumulate at the bottom of the reservoir and it should be cleaned out?

After reading most of the article (i kind of skimmed through the chemistry stuff on degredation), my system of kalk delivery isn't all that bad. The sediment (calcium carbonate) laying at that bottom of my top off reservoir isn't necessaryily a good supplement. But I can stir the mixture a few times a day to reactivate it? And vinegar can be used to further get more out of the entire process.

So this is what I'm thinking. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I should stir the sediment up a few times a day. But I should also add more kalk weekly. Therefore, my question is; is there a point at which too much sediment can accumulate at the bottom of the reservoir and it should be cleaned out?

How are you refilling the container. Do you let it go down low the refill or do you use a float valve?
I really dont think you can have "to much" sediment. By check the effluent ph you will se how well its hold up.

Don

It's a 15g tall tank. I refill it every weekend. So it gets pretty low....probably 3-4 inches from the bottom....then i refill.

Back