need alittle help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vvizz4rcl

? I just finished cycle in my 75g 65#live rock.Well I put 5 snails and 12 hermits and 1 yellow tail damsel in yesterday evening.When i came home today my sand was brown the rocks are brown and the glass.I get the algae is going to grow but this a matter of 20 hours. It not a whole alot of algae but is its enough that it shocked me. I was think i would need to go pick a turbo snail hmmm. If i could get some back plz.

Well I put 5 snails and 12 hermits and 1 yellow tail damsel in yesterday evening.When i came home today my sand was brown the rocks are brown and the glass.

Its just new a new tank. You brought home animals gut loaded with diatoms. Your tank is to young and probably has some silicates from new hardware and possibly sand so the diatoms bloomed. This is normal and will go away in time.

Don

I agree with Don. It is important, if you're going to use tap water, to test it on a regular basis. Municipal water systems are always changing, from additives, surrounding agricultural areas, and such. I'd recommend using RO/DI water. However, this is a typical diatom bloom and will go away. It's a healthy "syndrome" that all new tanks go through.

Back