Need an ID(picture included)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joshinjosh

Cnidarian
PICT5765-2.jpg

PICT5764.jpg

i just noticed a ton of this black/white stringy algea looking thing on all over my rock. anyone know what it is?

As it grows, does it change from the spikey look? In the second picture I can see a piece that has a fan looking blade (white in color). I wondered if the spikes start to fan out?

That is a social feather duster colony. They are what we often call "Cluster Dusters" At times these guys get so thick they often take over the whole tank it seems. Some of these have runners almost like plants ( not those in the pic). Some of these dusters are very very small ( <1mm dia tubes) and some are rather large ( few mm dia tube).

Nice ID Returno :D

Clusters with parchment tubes . Each duster is by itself not attached to any other duster. Just like those in this post.
RGS01106.jpg

Clusters that are attached to each other with runners and produce a calcareous tube.
JMG00303.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to agree also Josh. I think some of us jumped the gun. It appears to be a bad week for me doing that :( Need to slow down ;)

There are some algae like that. I'll talke a look later. Be nice to get a clearer pic.

Better pictures would definately help. I would almost lean towards a Bryozoan. Alot of similarities to Caberea sp & Bugula sp.

Cheers
Steve

Need a better pic Josh. I can't do much with that. I can't think of nothing that grows like that, other than that fan in the middle looks like a very small Udotea sp algae. What ever it is is very odd and has my attention :D

It is an algae, some type of Udotea sp. Lots of small green fans that begin a reproductive stage (your pic), disappear, and then return in even higher numbers. No control except physical removal.

I don't think you are any closer than yesterday Joshinjosh! I'm gonna keep up with this one.

BJ

Back