Need aptasia advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mustang Boy

I just found an aptasia in my mantis tank on a small peice of LR and was wondering if there was any way of getting rid of it without buying something like Joe's Juice. I was thinking maybe a freshwater dip but for how long?

Freshwater dip probably won't do a lot of good, without killing everything else that's liking on and in the rock. Make up some Kalk paste, using Pickling Lime. I mix it to a toothpaste consistency. Then us a syringe, even one of the plastic dosing syringes, to inject it into the mouth of the aiptasia. Works as good as Joe's Juice. If this doesn't work...and it doesn't always, then buy a new product called AiptasiaX. It works wonders!!

You could also try a syringe of boiling water and try squirting it right on it, I was told to try that before I went out and bought Joe's Juice, it didn't work for me but..... maybe it will for you.

You can also cover the nem with epoxy. Just be sure to cover the entire thing, and before you know it, it'll be gone.

Just get some peppermint shrimps for about the same price of that bottle or less. I have 3 of them in 46 gal and all rocks are squeaky clean. I recently obtained some live rock with that crap on it and all of it was gone in like 2-3 days. This is the way to do it rather than exposing fish and inverts to chemicals. Who knows what they put in that treatment bottle.

Just put a leash on it to keep it away from shrimp lol. Even if it's somewhat uncertain that shrimp will eat it, it's always worth trying because that is the easiest approach and less time/labor consuming. Someone else (shrimp) is taking care of it for you :)It worked for me and it did take few days but if you don't feed them anything else then that will force them to go thru aiptasia faster.

Peppermint shrimp works! I just setup my tank 2 weeks ago and had the same problem. I even had one aptasia with its base about the size of a dime. I watched my crabs messing with it and as soon as a crab touch it, it retreats back to its shell. Picked up 3 peppermints and it was gone overnight!

well with the whole peppermint shrimp idea this is a really small piece of LR so i could take it out of the mantis tank and put it in my aquapod 24 that has been setup for about a month and put a peppermint shrimp in there and when the shrimp is done with the aptasia on the rock i can just take the LR out and put it back in the mantis tank

plus that way i would have another neat addition to my 24

lol i know i should really get some pics ive just been kinda lazy lately but ill try to get some soon but i dont know how soon cause my mantis is very reclusive and only comes out when she wants to snack on a hermit or snail

Hi guys, I am currently battleing Manjano's wich I fee are to be treated the same way as Aptasia's. I have been following a pretty cool thread that is being done on a study on the different ways to treat Manjano's infestations. If you care to check it out you can do so here.

Back