Need assistance with RODI float switch wiring

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

I have read and read and read and I guess I just don't get wiring schematics. I have two float switches with a relay and a project box and I want to wire up the powered RODI unit to automatically fill the barrel when it trips the lower float valve and shut itself off when it trips the top float. I know this should be simple but I am a electrical idiot and I don't think anything will ever change that. Can some one in the South end (or where ever for that matter) come over one day or evening to help hook this up. I believe I have everything needed, the float switches are installed in the barrel and the RODI is hanging on the wall with water supply to it. We just need to do some simple wiring to the relay. I work from home so my schedule is about as flexible as it can be. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

MEN don't ask for directions or help, so have Becca ask and you will get assistance twice as fast....

Cheers, Todd

Hey eric, I don't think you can do this. You can have it be

1)on if floating, off if not floating (you might put this in your reservoir so if it goes dry, the pump won't activate. Do this by unscrewing the float and reversing it) or
2)off if floating, on if not floating (you would have in your sum, to fill it to a certain water level.)
If either switch is in the off position, then the pump will be off. All switches need to be in the ON position for the pump to be on.

You cannot have 2 switches working together like you are wanting (to fill between the level of the two switches.) This wouldn't work because once one of the switches floats, it will shut off the pump. It doesn't reference the second float switch. If you wanted to do it, you could get one of those programmable deals and do it with a bit of computer code (you can look up 'arduino'), but I'm guessing that is beyond the scope of what you want to do. Maybe a aquacontroller could do it, not sure about that though.

I have 2 float switches in my sump, but the top one is a backup incase the regular one sticks (so it won't fill the sump nonstop with di water.)

Each float switch has a range though. Say when the switch hits the bottom, it turns on and water comes in. Once it is raised a certain distance (lets say for yours that is 1/8", it will shut off again.) You may be able to get a bigger float switch with a longer stem that has to raise the float an inch or something before it will deactivate the pump. Looked briefly at chicagosensor.com but didn't see one.

Liquid Level Sensors from Chicago Sensor, Inc.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Hope that makes sense

Hey Rob. I have read many threads where people have done just this using a simple DPDT relay but it's just not simple enough for me to figure out and I can't make heads or tails of the wiring diagrams that I have seen to do it.

Check out this site - it has wiring diagram with dpdt relay and wiring to pump. (you'll have to look around the site a little to find it the diagram) may be helpful for your situation.....
Top-it-Off Kit Premium

I use a 2 float system, the first is in the sump that works as a regular float switch, when it is down it kicks the RODI on, the second is in the main tank and is set to NOT allow the RODI to kick on if it is up. So if something malfunctions, or a leak the second one in the tank prevents the flood and filling the talk with 20 gallons of RODI water, been running 2.5 years.

Huh. If you figure this out I would love to try to set mine up that way. My understanding was the it created a 'loop' through the floats and if either was 'off' then the system was off. Don't see how you could have one 'off' and one 'on', as the entire loop would still read as 'off' (since the one off switch would stop the signal from going though.)

Must be hooked up in a different way than mine. If you get it working, could you snap some pictures of how you set it up? My kalk reactor would be much happier if I always gave it a good minute or so of top off flow every time it turned on. Might have to rewire

rob

Hey eric, I don't think you can do this. You can have it be

1)on if floating, off if not floating (you might put this in your reservoir so if it goes dry, the pump won't activate. Do this by unscrewing the float and reversing it) or
2)off if floating, on if not floating (you would have in your sum, to fill it to a certain water level.)
If either switch is in the off position, then the pump will be off. All switches need to be in the ON position for the pump to be on.

You cannot have 2 switches working together like you are wanting (to fill between the level of the two switches.) This wouldn't work because once one of the switches floats, it will shut off the pump. It doesn't reference the second float switch. If you wanted to do it, you could get one of those programmable deals and do it with a bit of computer code (you can look up 'arduino'), but I'm guessing that is beyond the scope of what you want to do. Maybe a aquacontroller could do it, not sure about that though.

I have 2 float switches in my sump, but the top one is a backup incase the regular one sticks (so it won't fill the sump nonstop with di water.)

Each float switch has a range though. Say when the switch hits the bottom, it turns on and water comes in. Once it is raised a certain distance (lets say for yours that is 1/8", it will shut off again.) You may be able to get a bigger float switch with a longer stem that has to raise the float an inch or something before it will deactivate the pump. Looked briefly at chicagosensor.com but didn't see one.

Liquid Level Sensors from Chicago Sensor, Inc.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Hope that makes sense

Nope not true. The only difference is a simple jumper wire.

Don

What are we trying to wire? Give me the relay specs or a link to the relay. What are we switching (solenoid?), give me the specs or a link.

Don

I will put some stuff up when I get home a little later today.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Here is a generic diagram I just whipped up that will control a 12v solenoid valve. When you post the relay specs I can draw one specific to your relay that may be easier to follow. Its called a latched relay circuit.

Don

attachment.php

latch (Medium).jpg

This link might help a little.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Simple-Well-Pump-Controller.htm

T
hink of this in reverse. flip the switches 180° and swap positions and I think it'll do exactly what you are looking for.

From that link above. said:
Well Pump Control System Design
To automatically fill a header tank from a well, we need to reverse the configuration of the sump pit emptying system so that a float switch at the bottom of the header tank detects when it is empty starting the pump, and then a float switch at the top of the tank detects when the tank is full stopping the pump.

Don we are powering a 120v powered RODI unit. I have the typical Radio Shack DPDT 120v relay. I will take a look at your drawing when I get home.

Don we are powering a 120v powered RODI unit. I have the typical Radio Shack DPDT 120v relay. I will take a look at your drawing when I get home.

Ok well the first drawing will not work nor will the one Menace linked to. I drew it controlling a 12v solenoid but can easily change it to 120v. When you get home let me know exactly what you you are switching. (boosterpump, solenoid everything) and I'll redraw a diagram anyone can understand. Also need the PN# for the relay.

Don

Well first off run a 12 v relay to trip the circuit (power to the relay)
then take one lead from one float switch and then ..... awww crap I'll just call you!.

Ok well the first drawing will not work nor will the one Menace linked to. I drew it controlling a 12v solenoid but can easily change it to 120v. When you get home let me know exactly what you you are switching. (boosterpump, solenoid everything) and I'll redraw a diagram anyone can understand. Also need the PN# for the relay.

Don

Ok the replay part number is 275-0218 or here is the link to it 12VDC/10A DPDT Plug-in Relay - RadioShack.com

We are running two of these float switches Liquid Level Switch, Side Mount - Float Switches - Pump Controls - 5DYC2 : Grainger Industrial Supply Both are installed horizontal but upside down from the picture shown in the link. I can easily turn them so they are the same as the picture as well if needed.

This is the RODI unit we are running Vertex Aquaristik > Products > Water Purification Systems > RO / DI Systems > Deluxe Puratek 100 RO / DI It needs 120vac power to make any water as it has a booster pump on it as well as a computer for monitoring TDS and automatically back-flushing the membrane periodically.

There is no solenoid in the water line. The line just stays open and when the RODI unit gets power it starts making water.

I think you know what we are trying to do with the bottom sensor tripping the RODI unit to turn on and the top one tripping it to turn off. We also don't want the RODI unit to trip on when the water level drops slightly. We want it to wait until the bottom sensor is tripped again. That way the RODI unit is make 40ish gallons of water every time it turns on and not a few gallons at a time.

Back