need help/advice on lighting t5 vs vho

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

luisse25

ok im gonna upgrade soon into a 100gal cube tank(33 wide 28 deep 26 tall)
i have one 400w xm 20k..i already have vho ice cap 660 ballast(came with the tank purchase)..im thinking about putting t5 for supplemental lighting...my question is can i run t5 bulbs in the ice cap 660 ballast?i read somewhere that it will work but im not sure...
next question is if it doesnt run t5...is t5 better than vho?

i have lots of lps,lots of zoos and a few sps....i see that some people have zoas under t5 lighting and the colors really look very nice thats why i wanna go t5...and i like the metal halide as for the shimmer effect...
so is mh and t5 do really good together?or can i get away with vho which i already have?thanks:)

T5s are a better more intense light. You could have T5s alone for Most Soft coral. Some Sps Higher up in the tank. But with a Metal Halide I would go with T5s Nicer Color Effect my 2C.

yes i thought so about t5's...they are nice..
so t5's better than vho?im planning on putting it for supplemental lighting
like 2x24w whites and 2x24w actinics... i have one 400w halides already...

i already have vho set up..im changing my mind and wanted to switch for t5 i know its gonna cost a bit of money for a t5 set up but i wanna make sure im doing a right decision...

so going t5 for supplemental lighting is a good decision/choice over vho?
thanks for the heads up scott:)

I run the 660 as well but run the 4x36" VHO configuration.
It can run T5 with new endcaps/standoffs.
From this manual:
"Individual lamps can be 2 through 6 feet each. This
corresponds to 12 different lamp configurations.
Maximum light output with VHO, PC and T5HO
lamps.
"
http://www.icecapinc.com/01/completed%20manual.pdf

On a side note. T5 is better as long as you have individual reflectors (my opinion) I personly use the VHO's with internal reflectors for the fact that they seem to cover a much larger area and you only have to clean off saltcreap from the bulb and not bulb & reflectors :)

Eather will work grait in my opinion.

I run the 660 as well but run the 4x36" VHO configuration.
It can run T5 with new endcaps/standoffs.
From this manual:
"Individual lamps can be 2 through 6 feet each. This
corresponds to 12 different lamp configurations.
Maximum light output with VHO, PC and T5HO
lamps.
"
http://www.icecapinc.com/01/completed%20manual.pdf

On a side note. T5 is better as long as you have individual reflectors (my opinion) I personly use the VHO's with internal reflectors for the fact that they seem to cover a much larger area and you only have to clean off saltcreap from the bulb and not bulb & reflectors :)

Eather will work grait in my opinion.

thank u:p thats all i needed to know if the 660 can run t5:)now i dont need to buy a different ballast...all i need to buy is bulbs,end caps and yes reflectors:)that will save me a bit money:)thanks for your help and the link:)

Back