need help anyone with overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mavgi

i filled the tank about 6" with water (the first picture) to check if there is no leak.

after 5 minute i found out that in my return area there is small leak inside the pipe as in the second picture.

i think that water in this level shouldn't have to leak i want to know if someone had been through a case like that or maybe the bulkhead is not good .

i didn't glue the return conection to the bulkhead becuase in aga they told me not to do so. (but i push stron the return pipe into the bulkhead)

any advice or opinion will be appreciated

the leak inside the pipe (inside the bulkhead) not outside and i think it's come from the drain pipe base or that connect to the drain pipe and to the bulkhead. (look in the picture)

Last edited:
Our standpipes are not glued into the bulkheads either. That way, they can be removed if necessary. It is definately a good idea to trouble shoot this issue now. I wonder if you picked up some higher quality bulkheads this problem would go away? Were these the bulkheads that came with the tank? I know the bulkheads that came with my Oceanic glass tank were not as good of quality as the Schedule 80 bulkheads I used in the acrylic tank, so maybe the connection between the bulkhead and the drain pipe base is not as snug allowing just enough water to trickle in.

If you think that it is water leaking where the stand pipe goes into the bulkhead fitting on the inside of the overflowbox, try using a layer or two of teflon tape around the end of the stand pipe. This will act as a gasket between the pipe and bulkhead. If that is where the leak is.

i take out the return pipe and i glue between the drain pipe and the drain pipe base (look on the picture) i put it back and filled water in the drain area water, mean time there is no leak so i think the problem was there i let it stay 3-4 hour and i check it if no leak so the bulkhead good if i see leak i will try to put teflon and check it again before i will fill all with water.

Back