need help asap

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crxman

i have a few pieces of xenia and one is not looking good he has a large white spot on him and the rest if pink and hes all curled up please help me asap

the tank size is 75 gal with a refugium, i have about 70lbs or more of live rock and 90lbs of sand. i seen that the tank temp was 82 (i turned the heat up in the house yesterday night so that may be why it was so high i dunno so i turned it down to 79. i have not done a water change close to a month because i have been takin care of my wife and our new baby, i am planning on doing a water change tomorrow. what i have in the tank is 5 clowns, 1 sailfin, 1 lemon peal, 1 sand sifter, some snails. the corals i have is a large torch coral, some small polops, 2 bta. i dont have the prizm skimmer running because i was told i didnt have to run it because of the refugium.

Last edited:
Xenia are very temp sensitive from everything I've read. As for the skimmer, run it and see what kind of nasty nog you pull out then decide if the fuge is all you need.

Lack of WC's could also be contributing to the xenia needing more trace minerals.
I beleive xenias are iodine sensitive which is replaced with water changes.
I second the running the skimmer statement. AFAIK macro algeas in a fuge are thought to pull PO4 out of the water column. Not all of the other nasty DOC's. I think you might be suprised at how filthy your water is after a month.

Sorry to say that when we had our 75 gallon without a chiller we experienced tank temps over 80 degrees all of our Xenia basically 'melted'. Didn't do well with the high temps at all. :(

Back