Need help building a sump and plumbing my new tank! HELP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Million206

So I'm upgrading my reef tank from a 60 to a 100 gallon tank. I'd like to make the 60 into a sump where I can put a skimmer refug ext. never had a sump and have no clue how to construct it with my existing 60 gallon acrylic. Nor do I know how to plump everything. Any help appreciated.

well u simply cut the acrylic into "baffles" which seperate the diff sections in the sump... make sure to plan it so the water flows through it to the return section. Most people go skimmer/ fuge/ than return...

i cut my acrylic with just a skill saw. i use E6000 from micheals to seal em up...

also make sure ur return pump ISNT rated higher than ur overflow otherwise ur pump will just pump water to the top and itll have no where to go but on the floor!

HTHs
-d

So I'm upgrading my reef tank from a 60 to a 100 gallon tank. I'd like to make the 60 into a sump where I can put a skimmer refug ext. never had a sump and have no clue how to construct it with my existing 60 gallon acrylic. Nor do I know how to plump everything. Any help appreciated.

There are a number of ways to set up and run a sump. You should first take a look at "MELVS REEF" google it. There is a lot of good info on his site related to sumps.
It would take a lot of typing to explain all the different ways. I will shoot you a PM

Back