Need help id'ing this new SPS addition-seriatopora/porites? LFS brown bargain pickup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rickster66

Found this SPS in the bargain bin for $10. Not sure what family it belongs to. The best way to describe it is a Seriatopora hystrix but with random growth direction and smooth rounded tips. No visible polyps - tried feeding and midnight investigation no luck either.

I checked the books that I had and online. I have no clue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Looks like a monti. to me also. If you just got it then trun main lights out first day and let it settle in

They also like small meaty bits of food and a well fead tank makes it easier along with feeding habits and type.

Also may want night feeding and check if they extend a few hours after lights out like 3 or 4 in the morning.

Also as i see what appears to be a bleaching SPS in the back round this could be another reason.

This may help GL. And remember that SPS perfer good water movement over high lighting.

http://www.asira.org/caresheets

I'll give you 11$ US if you deliver it.:lol:

Joking aside, post pics when comes around. Its an interesting mystery coral.

This is terrific, Acropora Simplex it is! Cy thanks for tracking this down and the link to a a new coral id database that i've added to my list.

I'm hoping that with the improved growing environment that it will start to really branch out along with the bleached out/browned out Acro in the background (also another $10 deal).

I'll send update pics as things progress.

From that pic its hard to ID, but to me it looks like a hydrocoral/fire coral. Are there visible polyps at the tips? If so, Its an acro, and maybe symplix as Cy stated. If no polyps, then I stand behind the hydrocoral ID. If so, keep it away from all other corals, and if you have sensitive skin, wear gloves when handling it because it WILL sting.

Hmmm, no visible polyps on the tips - maybe not acro? Do all Acro have visible polyps? They are completely rounded over but are growing. Not sure about it being a fire coral, as no one at the LFS was concerned and they moved it gently by grasping the branches. I brushed up against it accidentally a couple of times when I was placing the new Acro in and did not notice any stinging-like sensations.

Hmmm, no visible polyps on the tips - maybe not acro? Do all Acro have visible polyps? They are completely rounded over but are growing. Not sure about it being a fire coral, as no one at the LFS was concerned and they moved it gently by grasping the branches. I brushed up against it accidentally a couple of times when I was placing the new Acro in and did not notice any stinging-like sensations.

Any word on the polyps. Rod's right...simplex would have polyps...at least at some point when its happy. Fire Coral would have been my next guess but they are so uncommon (at least around here). Maybe a better picture...just curious to see how the coral is changing now that its getting better care:) Also, use that coral ID database as a good guidline but don't take it as the SPS bible. I've seen mistakes there many times. Still...its a great place to narrow the search with pictures of what the colors and growth forms often look like in our tanks.

Last edited:
Back