NEED HELP!!! Massive cut on sea hare!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

boosted306

I just walked past my tank and saw my sea hare cruising and noticed a flap on my sea hare. I picked him up to see what the flap was and he has a massive gash on his stomach. I can see his stomach but it is eating. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

DSC_0001.jpg

There is a picture. You can see the gash clearly. I can tell that it is in a lot of pain but it is trying its best to eat. Should I put it out of its misery or just wait and see if it is trying to heal?

EDIT: I don't have a QT tank to put this guy in just yet. I do on the other hand have a non-stocked pico that has been running for quite some time. It is just 2.5 gallons though. I know this isn't a lot of water volume but would it help?

Last edited:
i would mve him to the smaller tank just so he doesnt find a small hole to curl up in. and if you have some extra alge throw it in there so he will eat if he wants to.

If it dies in your tank it may give off toxins that might kill all your tank inhabitants.

I think if it was me I would move it to the pico. If it is hurt it could go curl up and die and.... they can nuke your whole tank. If it is possible to put some algae or even a small piece of rock with algae that would be good for it.

I reread your post and I think that flap of skin on the Nubi is normal. I looked at some old pictures of when I had one and it also had a flap of skin that looked like a cut.

If it does end up dying it will not poison your tank. I had two sea hare died in my 40g tank full of SPS along other sensitive corals, inverts and fish. They got minced up in the PH. I didn't even do a water change or run carbon for a week after it happened and yet nothing died or showed any signs of stress. It was jus ta nother day for the inhabitants.

As for the gash I don't see what you are talking about but from what i can remembered from my last 2 sea hare that was how they looked.

UPDATE: It is still alive in the 29. I left him in the DT because he was eating and I didn't want to have him out of water with the cut. I am thinking that he is healing.

As for the cut being natural, it isn't. It is definitely a cut because I could see the bloody scar tissue around the area. I wish that it was natural because I really like this guy and he is a benefit to the tank. I just wish I knew what cut him.

it might have been just a rock or something from him sliding around and all. just keep an eye on him and ive had a sea hare die in my tank and nothing happend so it will be fine lol

Most of the time that these get cut from the PH. check to see that they are not so big that the nubi can get sucked in.

Back