need help on lighting my tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

degauss

i am setting up my first marine tank and i am stuck (diddent take long lol)
my tank is 44"x18"x20" and i have decided to go for metal halide but need your help whitch one would be best for my tank ...ARCADIA SERIES 3 (1X 150W METAL HALIDE) 70cm with 2x blue tubes or ...ARCADIA SERIES 3 (2X 150W METAL HALIDE) 110cm with 2x blue tubes there is a big price diffrence so any help would be great. if anyone knows of a cheeper version that dose the same job please let me know thanks

Welcome to RF degauss! I've personally never had anything more than 260 watt pc's. I haven't been all that much into full blown reefs yet that demand better light...Sorry. Don't worry though. I'm sure the others will have you sorted out before long...

PC is another word for Power Compacts Or Compact Flourescent bulbs.
I would recomend www.cooltouchlighting.com
I have bought 5x 250 watt tar ballasts from them with sockets and cords and reflectors and 3x 250 icecap electronic ballasts from them with sockets cords and reflectors. Low Price Great Service Quick Shipping. Really a quality product for a lot less that anyone else I have found.

both look good cant wait to get started i thought i would go for m/h so i diddent have to up grade later. i just dont know which one suits my tank a\ny suggestions

Yes two 250 watt MH bulbs will keep anything you want to keep in your tank. Shaded over hangs for lowlight/non photo corals. Bottom for medium light corals and the top half for high light, clams, sps, anemones. If you want a very blue tank go with 14k bulbs and if you can stand a little whiter go with 10000k xm bulbs. They have the best PAR which is about 3times what the 14k bulbs have. My SPS and anmone seem to love them.

so is 1x 150 a no no? because i got told from lfs that is all i need i just diddent know if 2x 150 m/h would have been to much the tank is in my living room so has to look nice

A mh bulb lights up a area 24x24 since your tank is 44 long by 18 wide one bulb wont do the trick. Here let me show you what I mean. My tank is only 4" longer than yours and here it is with one bulb on and both bulbs on. Hope this helps some.

I like the single ended bulbs. Out a lot longer cheaper and many more choices. It is almost impossible to have to much light. Think about 12 noon at the equator. Its stinking bright. I would go with 250s if I were in your shoes.

PC's aren't as good as metal halides IMO and probably everyone elses. Steve your tank is the bomb! I ordered a piece of blue acrylic Friday to change my backgroungd to your color, but cancelled it until I finished aquascaping.

both look good cant wait to get started
Degauss, I can't wait for you to get started either(LOL) Just make sure you take your time and ask ask ask any questions so that you won't fall into any/much probleems as you start setting up. Here at RF, you will find is a really friendly place where everyone is willing to help, so just ask away...

thanks that helped alot a picture is worth a thousand words! nice tank by the way. sorry to ask so many Q but i am after the pendent type silver finish is there any cheaper than the ...ARCADIA SERIES 3 they look realy nice but are a bit expensive and i dont know how to tell the missus

degauss,

Before you start worrying about your lighting, you might keep in mind how your are going deal with the heat that the mh's produce.

Are you going to have a tall canopy, fans, and chiller?

Other questions that you are going to need to ask yourself is what type of filteration, which protein skimmer.

The main question that you need to ask yourself is what are you going to do (LPS, SPS, or Fish only)?

i have a sump custom made with bio wheel, bio balls, sea clone 100 skimmer sandfillter nitrex box(?) and a pump back to the main tank and in the main tank i have two revolving powerheads.

i am going for fowlr at first with plans to change to full reef setup

Back