Need help selecting QUIET return pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

So I currently have a 90gal tank which will eventually be replaced by my new 150. This weekend I decided to swap out the sumps, I installed the sump/skimmer/return pump that will run the 150 on my 90 because i wanted to check out the skimmer and it wouldn't run in my old sump, (water level issue). The return pump is an Iwaki WMD-40rlxt and it is too noisy. My tank is in the bedroom and the sump and associated equipment is in the garage on the other side of an insulated wall, so you would think I wouldn't be able to hear anything, but the Iwaki can be heard loud and clear. It is not a vibration issue, the pump is just loud.

So I need recommendations for a return pump. approx 1200gph, external, and QUIET. Cost is not so much an issue. If i cant get this quiet enough, then the whole 150 project goes out the window, the wife cant sleep with the noise.

PS. Don't confuse the WMD40 rlxt and the WMD40 rlt the RLXT does 1200gph the RLT only does 750. My pump is older, not sure how old but i would guess 6 or 7 years, I am not sure if that is a factor.

Thanks

Following along, would love to find a truely quiet return pump. I have used several Little Giant and Iwaki pumps and currently a Pan World which all have varying sound levels and pitches, NONE of which I could sleep next to let alone my wife who says she can even hear the pumps downstairs running. In the future may go to an in-sump model again being that heat is no longer an issue while running LED's for lighting.

Cheers, Todd

I think the quietest return pumps I've ever heard are the old sequence DART pumps. Unfortunately they pump 3500GPH. An Eheim 1262 is probably your best bet for a quiet in sump return.

I'd 2nd the Eheim but will also mention my skimmer running a sicce psk1000 pump is louder than my iwaki wmd30rxlt though...actualy my vortech mp40's which are pretty quiet are louder too. in other words when I shut off the iwaki I can't hear a difference with mp40's and skimmer on.

Agree. I have a DART in the garage as a return pump for mine. It's nice and quiet. I have a lot of head in order to get it back into the tank so I don't know what I'm getting exactly with it as for GPH. Keep in mind if it's to much you can put a ball valve or gate valve on it to reduce the GPH.

I also have an Eheim 1262 plumbed externally for my chiller and anything else I want to run off it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358789429.002692.jpg

Agree. I have a DART in the garage as a return pump for mine. It's nice and quiet. I have a lot of head in order to get it back into the tank so I don't know what I'm getting exactly with it as for GPH. Keep in mind if it's to much you can put a ball valve or gate valve on it to reduce the GPH.

I also have an Eheim 1262 plumbed externally for my chiller and anything else I want to run off it.
View attachment 43953

+1 for both of these pumps.

I also recommend the ehiem 1262, which isn't going to make the grade if you are set on 1200gph.

The only pump I have ever seen that was absolutely silent was the Poseidon pumps. I still use 2 P4's.
Unfortunately they are not made anymore.

Does anyone have a blowhole 1450? I read a review where they say they just dont put out anywhere near the GPH they advertise at given head. Am curious about anyones opinions on this pump as I am very nterested in it.
Look into Reeflo Blow Hole 2700gph 3 speed pump....quite and you can turn it down at night:)

Back