Need help....small gray flatworms on corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So far the flat worm exit has killed several of my mini brittle stars also, I just hope it doesn't kill my large one. I didn't have anything to do with him, so didn't have much of a choice but to risk it with him in there.

How long have you had it in the water? Do you see flatworms on your rock or substrate? As they die they secrete a slimy string that they stay attached to before they release into the water column. Honestly the best thing to do is start a filter siphon. Siphon water into a net in the sump so it stays continuous and just start collecting them in the net/sock.

How long have you had it in the water? Do you see flatworms on your rock or substrate? As they die they secrete a slimy string that they stay attached to before they release into the water column. Honestly the best thing to do is start a filter siphon. Siphon water into a net in the sump so it stays continuous and just start collecting them in the net/sock.

It's been in the water for about an hour. I got out as many as I can find. I don't see any on the rock or substrate, but it's very hard to tell because they are clear or a little grayish. I have a mandarin dragonette, and a six line wrasse that I believe has kept their numbers relatively low.

Typically, it's totally safe to use Flatworm Exit, at 3X the recommended dosage. The flatworms will start dying and floating around, within about 30 seconds of the 3X dosage being added. It's very important to get as many dead worms out of your tank, as possible. When you hear about Flatworm Exit crashing people's tanks, it isn't because of the medication, it's because of the toxins that the dead worms put out. This is why it's so critical to remove as many as possible, before treating and then to remove as many dead ones, as possible, after treating.

Get your turkey baster in there and blow the heck out of all the live rock. This will blow any, that are "stuck" to the live rock, into the water column, where you can scoop them up.

I am aware of that, and did lots of research before buying it, but thanks for caring enough to remind me!:) I did a 2x dose, and several of them died, but I think just as many brittle stars did too. I will try blowing off my rock some more and see if any more pop up.

Typically, it's totally safe to use Flatworm Exit, at 3X the recommended dosage. The flatworms will start dying and floating around, within about 30 seconds of the 3X dosage being added. It's very important to get as many dead worms out of your tank, as possible. When you hear about Flatworm Exit crashing people's tanks, it isn't because of the medication, it's because of the toxins that the dead worms put out. This is why it's so critical to remove as many as possible, before treating and then to remove as many dead ones, as possible, after treating.

Get your turkey baster in there and blow the heck out of all the live rock. This will blow any, that are "stuck" to the live rock, into the water column, where you can scoop them up.

+1 I use a powerhead pointing all along the scaping and blow everything out. This also helps to get the poison to the worms that are hiding from it.

+1 I use a powerhead pointing all along the scaping and blow everything out. This also helps to get the poison to the worms that are hiding from it.

I did that, and still didn't really find any more. I think that several of my fish, and a couple corals ate them as they started dying and floating around. I saw a large paly with really long skirt tentacles grab one and swallow it. I still only saw about a dozen total that I removed.

Are they easy to see in the water once they die? I think I may have spotted some in my tank this morning.

Egunman, when you treat with Salifert Flatworm exit, they're very easy to see, as they float around the water column, by the hundreds. Noticing a single dead one, in the water column, may be completely different. In that case, they'd be easier to identify alive, crawling on your glass or sand.

Are they easy to see in the water once they die? I think I may have spotted some in my tank this morning.

You ususally are not going to spot them swimming in the water; and if you do they will be doing a little wiggle-worm swimming maneuver. They will be found on your rocks or on the substrate, usually under a ledge or something...just typically in a low flow area. They can be pretty tough to see, just keep staring at them and they will move.

Back