Need Help Starting my 54g Corner Reef Tank!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ericdamangus

Hey Everyone,
I've been obsessed with fishtanks my whole life and girlfriend just got me one for my birthday! It is a 54g corner AGA with built in TwinFlo Overflow in the corner. I'm in the process of building my own sump that will fit in the cabinet she got me too. The sump will be probably about only 10 gallons and just big enough for a bubble trap (baffles allowing waterflow under over under), my ASM G-1 protein skimmer, my 250w heater and Mag-5 pump. I also already purchased plenty of instant ocean salt, a mag-float glass cleaner, a gravel (or sand) vacuum, an outer orbit 150W HQI with 2 actinic CF's, and now I don't know what else to get! I know I need sand, but I'm not sure what the best thing for me to do is. My girlfriend likes the really light colored sand, that is extremely fine grain (also very cheap like 5.99 for 10 pounds). I've been doing as much research as I can and I'm stuck on a few things that I'm hoping you guys can help me with. What sand should I get? Do I have to get live sand, if I'm going to get Live Rock? (I plan on getting between 50-60 lbs of live rock from www.reeftopia.com, extremely cheap, free shipping and they guaranteed me no unwanted critters.) Also what silicone or glue should I use on the sump that won't harm my aquarium?

If anybody can help me, please let me know. I'm going to be putting pic's up of my current setup sometime this weekend. I am fascinated by reef tanks and can't wait to some water pumping in this thing. I am open to suggestions!

Thanks,
Eric

First off, WELCOME to Reef frontiers. We hope you enjoy yourself here.

Regarding your tank.
No, you dont need live sand. Your rock will seed it eventually and you can also cet a cup or so from a fellow reefer or LFS.
Most reefers(that use sand) prefer a sugar sized aragonite sand. Keep in mind that the finer it is, the more it may blow around the tank if you have massive flow. DO NOT buy crushed coral. It is a detrtious trap and you will most likely regret it. Ive rarely heard of people satisfied with it.
For your sump, GE silicone one without mold inhibitors will work just fine. You will need to get a couple of glass pieces cut for the sump if you want it to last long term. Plexi glass doesnt bond well to glass.
As far as your LR. I have seen some of the Carribean and wasnt impressed. It did however, come with some cool life. More experience reefers only recommend this if your are doing an Atlantic type tank. Also the link you posted claims to have pieces ranging from 3-6 inches which makes cool aquascaping difficult.
I ordered a box of the fiji select from these guys http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=397 and received a nice variety of pieces ranging from 3-12" I was plenty satisfied. Whatever you do, you may want to save some of your budget for a couple (hand picked form the LFS)unique pieces to "top off your rock pile" so to speak.

Take things slowly and plan your purchases well. Buying things twice because you were trying to save a few bucks gets real expensive. Trust me, I set up a second tank after a year because I had so much stuff leftover from "buying the less expensive stuff and saving money".

Whats next?

Trido,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've heard some bad things about Dr's. Foster and Smith LR. I do see what you mean about trying to aqua scape with such small pieces of LR. I think I will order the LR from the website since it is only 99 for 45 lbs. Then I will take your advice of picking some from the LFS too.

After I put the sand in my take and add the saltwater mix, where do i go from there? Just add the live rock and test the water until there is no signs of ammonia or nitrates and nitrites? Also during the curing phase of the LR should I have the light on or will that cause unwanted growth?

I am a strong believer in doing things right the first time around, so you don't waste money on junk. So if anybody recommends something, please let me know!

Thanks Again,
Eric

After your salt and sand is in wait a few days till you add the rock. After you add the rock alot of stuff will die and your water will smell. You need to continually clean out your sump. After your nitrates and nitrites come back to zero you have to change out the water over the course of 2-3 weeks. Youll want just the rock, sand, and water to be in the tank for at least 6-8 weeks (from the moment you add the rock) before you add anything.

Put some grate down on the bottom of your tank so theres no accidental breakage! lots of people use the white plastic lighting grates. you can get that stuff real cheep at lowes homedepot ect. Put that down before any sand and rock, its extra insurance from falling rocks. Also Im a strong advocate for setting the rock first, so that the rock dont shift. The last thing is to put in is the sand IMHO. Be sure to mix up your salt prior to putting in your tank. Get a Nice refractometer! that will make your life easy! The hydromitors are not accurate, especially if your in death valley, they go off specific gravity, not sallinity.

On a seacond note! As for your rock! Get a 30G bucket with fresh salt water and Cure that rock! Or try to get rock that is cured! dont spare expence on your rock! i did once and it took like a year to drop the nitrates! Put a power head, heater and your G1 in the bucket, that will make your future much brighter. Keep the rock in there untill the smell goes away. Some people raise the temp to like 81-82 to speed things up a bit. By the time you put your rock in the tank youll be pretty close to rockin and rolling! Good luck and happy reeffing!

Remember! This hobbie takes patience, and a deep pocket book!

Put some grate down on the bottom of your tank so theres no accidental breakage!
Ive hear this advice before and always wonder where it comes from. I dont have any and just reaquascaped a month ago with fish and sand in place. One of my rocks is over 45lbs and I could hardly lift it during its relocation from the middle to one side. IMO 2 inches of sand on the bottom is pretty good protection. I'd be more worried about the sides of the tank during a catastrophy than the bottom. In 20 years of keeping larger tanks Ive never had one break from an avalanche (Ive never had an avalanche, even during earthquakes) or bumping rocks on the sides during aquascaping. I guess anything is possible.....and of course, this is JMO.

On a second note. Reefer man has an extremely good point about curing your rock in a seperate container. Possibly in the garage. Some fresh LR can get very stinky during the curing porcess from what I hear.

Ive heard of the rock making it down to the glass through the sand, and may cause a presure point that could cause a crack in the bottom, though you dont need it, better safe then sorry. That would be up to you, everyone that i know localy uses that lighting crate. Just an opinion though, not to offend anyone.. sounds like your off to a great start. Happy reeffing!

egg crate

Fyi,egg crate in the sand is an open invatation for hydrogen sulfide,due to the elimination of cross flow.Yes flow!though slight still important to not create areas that will become anoxic.And by the way.....isn't it a pain always having to cover it back up.I would drill your biggest rocks that you plan to use as a base with three holes in each[like a bowling ball],and than put half inch pvc in them to create a slightly raised base.I think it is a 3/4 inch drill bit.This will drasticly improve sand bed health over the long term,and prevent cave in's if you get a gobie,or simmilar fish.

Back