need help to chose equipment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mavgi

Hi to all.

i want to know what you suggest to go with :precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620 or the GEO-NR kalkreactor.

calcium reactor : GEO612 or the Precision Marine Calcium Reactor cr422.

Co2 Guages > RF Deluxe CO2 Regulator with Solenoid

i am going to run bare bottom i use in the mag1200 tank aga 120 gallon 2 overflow, i need to add ph to increase the circulation in the tanki check the :
tunze Turbelle Stream Kit 6010 with the controler rated 1850gph , i want to know if i will put 2 in the tank it will be a good flow or it's to much ?

want to know if ineed to put 2 heater in this size of tank or one it's ok.

(i have already 36watt uv , skimmer euro reef cs8-3)

please give me your advice i can buy this item but i want to know how much it's important and help me to chose. (i run 20 years marine tank but just fish this tank will be my first coral so i need help with this equipment)

thank you all

michael

Michael,
When deciding on a method of keeping a reeftank, (IE BB, SSB, or DSB) its best to know a couple of things:

What are you trying to keep in the tank? SPS, LPS and Softies, or just fish and hardy inverts?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods of keeping a reeftank?

I can tell you from personal experiance that keeping a BB tank, flow is paramount. The idea is to be able to keep detritus in suspension long enough that it can get to the skimmer or fed to corals.

With that in mind, IMO, if you're wanting to keep all SPS in a BB tank, I would suggest more than just two Tunze 6010's in your 120. I say this becuase IMO, the two Streams arent going to move water in the tank sufficiently to keep the majority of the detritus in the water column long enough to get skimmed out without settling somewhere in your Rockwork.

Now, the nice thing about the streams, is that they are able to be purchased in controllable sets, so you can upgrade/add on later to your systems flow requirements. When you first set this tank up, you're not going to need vast amounts of flow...so you'll have time to fine tune things as you go.

I would suggest starting off with two, and seeing where detritus builds up. Use a turkey baster on your rocks and see just how much crap comes flying off them. The adapt your flow to lower or lessen the amount of detritus buildup you get on the rocks.

Nick

hi maxx

thank for the replay.

i will run the 2 tunze 6010 with the controler it will give 3700gph.(did not buy yet)

i have in my stock more 2 540gph power head. or you suggesat to have bigger tunze pump ?

i want to run sps and maybe some softy include fish.

i am sorry but i don't understand :"Use a turkey baster on your rocks and see just how much crap comes flying off them" (and other thing about "cocking the rock" don't know what is the meaning) .

want to know if you suggest to add : calc and kalk reactor , i check the GEO

i check today the calc and the kalk reactor , and also the pinpoint ph controler and the pinpoint spg . i want that it will run automat without to adjust this all the time.

i already order the starboard 3/4 " thick.

i want to run the BB tank with the most important thing to keep good the coral (of course with the money that i can aford)

any sugeest or if you can tell me what the best will be to do.

best regards

michael

maxx said:
Michael,
When deciding on a method of keeping a reeftank, (IE BB, SSB, or DSB) its best to know a couple of things:

What are you trying to keep in the tank? SPS, LPS and Softies, or just fish and hardy inverts?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods of keeping a reeftank?

I can tell you from personal experiance that keeping a BB tank, flow is paramount. The idea is to be able to keep detritus in suspension long enough that it can get to the skimmer or fed to corals.

With that in mind, IMO, if you're wanting to keep all SPS in a BB tank, I would suggest more than just two Tunze 6010's in your 120. I say this becuase IMO, the two Streams arent going to move water in the tank sufficiently to keep the majority of the detritus in the water column long enough to get skimmed out without settling somewhere in your Rockwork.

Now, the nice thing about the streams, is that they are able to be purchased in controllable sets, so you can upgrade/add on later to your systems flow requirements. When you first set this tank up, you're not going to need vast amounts of flow...so you'll have time to fine tune things as you go.

I would suggest starting off with two, and seeing where detritus builds up. Use a turkey baster on your rocks and see just how much crap comes flying off them. The adapt your flow to lower or lessen the amount of detritus buildup you get on the rocks.

Nick

mavgi said:
i am sorry but i don't understand :"Use a turkey baster on your rocks and see just how much crap comes flying off them" (and other thing about "cocking the rock" don't know what is the meaning) .

Hi Michael! What maxx means by using a turkey baster on your rocks, is to take a turkey baster (not the one you will use in the kitchen on your turkey, but preferably a new turkey baster) into your tank and squeeze the bulb on the top of it, which will shoot water onto your rocks. This process will cause alot of detritus to go into the water column. It is a good idea to do this on a routine basis. If you don't have a turkey baster to use, then you can use a powerhead and blow the water onto the rocks. It will perform the same action. What you are trying to do is get the detritus into the water column, so the tank inhabitants can use what they want, and the skimmer will take care of the rest. This will also allow you to see where detritus is collecting in your tank, and let you change the flow as needed to keep the detritus from piling up on the rocks. The collecting detritus can lead to algae problems from the nutrients sitting there and not getting removed. I'm using a piece of clear vinyl tubing, that I hook up to the output of my closed loop, to clean my rocks off on a regular basis.

Hope this helps

Hi NIKKI

i finish the plumbig i get a lot of help from marc (melev's reef) a great person.

i want to know if you can send me a link or picture of a good "turkey baster"

i put already the marine starboard 3/4 thick. i hope i can make a first test sutarday night .

here is some picture : right side refuge , middle return , left skimmer.

one more

i seal now the baffles , i do it with white silcon hope it's good.

You just want to make sure the silicone is 100% silicone. Also, watch the depth of your water in the sump. The EuroReef needs to be in 8" of water? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you check your user manual it will tell you about depth of water.

This is what a turkey baster looks like, and you should be able to find one in your local grocery store, or a store like Target or Wal-Mart. It doesn't have to be good, as long as it works. You can also use a powerhead to accomplish the same thing:

bpadb300.jpg

Back