Need help to install a home network -will trade for frags

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Hey gang,

Yep.. I know.. it's a reefing site, but I found some good people on here to help me build my deck and install a sprinkler system last summer who were willing to work for frags, and I thought I'd see if anyone in the puget sound area has the equipment and experience to help me setup a home network this weekend and wants to work for frags.

If you are interested, read on..

Here's a shot of the tank I took this evening.. I have nice green slimer (centerpiece), pink mili, red monti, green monti, light green with neon green polyp monti, zoos, purple tip acro, hammer, torch, even a nice :shock: ORA tort:shock: I can frag or already have fragged.

355478855_605fe27854_b.jpg

still interested? read on..

So here are some things that you need to know:

• I live in Snohomish, WA (about an hour drive north of Seattle).
  • my house is a newer house 2003 and the builder supposedly "prewired" it to be network ready
  • I have something called a leviton Integrated Network home system (pix's down below) in my closet downstairs with a bunch of wires running in and out.
  • I have an existing DSL modem
  • I have an existing Linksys 5 port router which is also wireless router

I know what your saying.. why not just stay wireless, right?

well, three main reasons to not do wireless (only) are..
1) My wireless fades in and out at times and it's annoying and I can't always count on it. We mostly use wireless downstairs and my main computer is upstairs which is also where my modem and router currently reside.
2) I've got a Neptune AC III on the way and want to hard wire that to the network (also eventually will need to hook up a UPS to it too)
3) I'd eventually also like to hook my TV's into the network too

So anyhow, here is my situation..

In my downstairs closet, I have this white box called a leviton Integrated Network home system. If you open the white box, inside, I have a bunch of blue CAT 5 wire that is being used for a telephone (I assume) that is already hooked up to some switch looking thingy, and bunch of coaxle cable that is also connected using some sort of splitter, but then I have a bunch of yellow Cat 5 wire with no end's on it that is not being used.. I can only beleive this yellow wire is what I should use for the home network. oh and I have two outlets too, but both are in use.

The first challenge will be putting the ends on all of the yellow cat 5 ends.. (you'll need the parts and tools to do it - or tell me what and where to get them and I can get 'em before you come over)

a picture speaks a thousand words, right... well here it goes.

White leviton box outside:
343508822_3241da6ef5.jpg

Inside of white leviton box:
355450300_ba99273bb0_b.jpg

don't forget.. I'll also need ends on all of the other ends too. The other ends of the yellow CAT 5 is behind each recepticle.

355450301_846408370b.jpg

seems probably pretty simple right? well the next part may be a little more challenging.. stay tuned... I'll get the post started and then continue..

Ahhh man, that's weak, they didn't wire your outlets? Don't see why they didn't do that.

I would think all you need is a punch-down tool for the jacks, some Cat-5 connectors, crimping tool, and a cheap 100 or 1000 Mb Ethernet switch in your cabinet (there is power there right?)

It would be a good idea to have one of those Ethernet circuit testers for a job like this, but I think they run around $60 and you'll never use it again. Maybe someone has one you can borrow.

Shouldn't be too difficult!

Next task.. once all the ends are on the cables, I need this DSL modem and the wireless router pictured below somehow fit nicely in the closet where the Leveton box is.. They don't necessarily need to be inside the box, but I need the installation to look nice and professional (can't have a bunch of wires hanging all over the place)

the modem (Westell DSL modem)
355488003_51d87e1fb7.jpg

The Wireless-G broadbandrouter ith 4 port switch router (model WRT54G)
355488002_4877e82406.jpg

The closet (see open leviton box on left)
355488005_cbe65224cf.jpg

Ahhh man, that's weak, they didn't wire your outlets? Don't see why they didn't do that.

Weak indeed.. I'm going to go over and check with my neighbor to see if they wired his and just forgot mine. If they forgot mine, maybe I can have them come out and do that part for free. It's worth a shot... I'll be back

Darnit.. thought there might be some hope.. but no.. builder apparently didn't do it for anyone.

I went over to the neighbor's and he said he had to crimp all of the ends on himself. He went to Lowes, bought a special tool for $45 and a bunch of end pieces, used it, then returned it. He also has everything hooked up in the his closet, but it looks a little on the sloppy side for my tastes.

he let me take some photos..

355517537_31a2c4ad42.jpg

Router and modem sitting up top on shelf.. I'll probably have to have it sit up there too, but don't want all of the wires to be visable. Maybe I can cut a small access hole through the walls and fish it through.

355517540_a1f2de053c.jpg

So.. what do ya say. Anyone out there that has the tools that would be willing to help me this weekend?

here's a piece of the ORA tort I was talking about.. already mounted, grown a little base, and starting to spurt some pretty good shoots on top and on the sides.. :) :) :)

355478858_ce241fa6c3.jpg

I've got the tools if you'd want to borrow them. Crimper, rolls of cat-5 cable, but running out of ends. I would be down to come over and help this weekend, but come on its the playoffs :D

Both of those will mount directly to the wall also, or you could easily install a little shelf for them. The neighbor's setup looks terrible. Maybe he doesn't have kids?? ;)

Is that RG59 or RG6 in there?? Looks a little small. I had to tear mine out to get a decent HD picture, and when I installed my tank, while the wall was torn out, I ran two RG 11 homeruns to my bottom floor. That way I'll have plenty of bandwidth in that area. RG6 barely covers HD signal and really shouldn't be used at this point IMO.

BTW, I set up my ACIII Pro with a wireless bridge to connect to my network upstairs. It works great, and a little tip: The Linksys Wrieless Game adapter will work just as well for about half the price. I know because I did it and it worked right out-of-the-box with no special adjusting. I hate wires!!!

The horrible injustice is that you paid a premium for a "wired" house and they didn't hook the stuff up. Typical ain't it?

something to help....

well i have to tools the cable and the ends.... but short on time this weekend

If you run into to much trouble let me know I am way down south but did instalation for 4 years of cable/ internet. can make the job look really nice/professional but takes time. It is worth it to buy the tool and ends your self you will need the parts etc as for the hook up it is pretty simple. as for your HD TV I also used to install boxes and did trouble calls for 3 years and only used home run rg6 cable for those, quality dosnt come from the cable as long as the signal is there, I have seen 59 work just fine ( not my favorite ) but it is all in the configuration to get the signal to the box with no ingress. all of the fittings they used are crimp on digicon fittings and they work good and the cable you have is 6 cable I can tell by the fitting color, only suggestion would be to reconfigure you splitter network to maximize your signal by disconecting the unused cable outlets.

The install is done!!!! woooo hooooo!!!!!

I am home networking it up right now in fact!!!!

Steve (sgwill122) came over and helped me complete the job which turned out to have a few hitches here and there, but overall went very smoothly. Thanks for everyone who responded, offered advice, and or offered to help - much appreciated! And most of all.. thank you Steve! I hope the frags work out for ya nicely. :D :D :D

I'll try to post some pictures of the finished product here soon, but it was a very nice clean install.

K.. enough teasin'

Here are some photos of the install..

Inside the home network box:

359974142_68548a8f68.jpg

What it looks like all closed up (outside of network box) - can't see much can ya?:

359974143_c4c54fc890.jpg

Inside the tank stand are a router and modem. Right above the blue Linksys router on the top will be where I put the Neptune AC III controller when it arrives tomorrow:

359974147_919cdafbbd.jpg

Close up of undertank setup (the wavemaker and timers on the right will be gone as soon as the computer controller arrives):

359974150_69c7e435b6.jpg

All of the rooms in the house now have one of these (includes cable jack, telephone, and ethernet):

360038700_8d9ba80e25.jpg

And of course, my TV's are hooked up to the network now too so i can play MP3s and MPEG videos and do slide shows on the TV and such.. Sorry, no pics of those :)

Very nice upgrade! I am surprised you put the router inside the tank stand but I am sure there is a good reason for that! :)

Thx. I only wanted to buy one UPS which I need for the controller to send me an e-mail if our power ever goes out, so I figured it was either on top of the tank stand, behind the tank stand, or in the tank stand.

The wife said it was "ugly" on top of the stand. Behind would make it very hard to access. And in the tank stand was the most stealth.. so that's what I went for.

I figured there was a good reason. :) So can you explain in detail how you have your ACIII set up to email when the power goes out? If it is on a UPS, it won't know without some kind of relay right? I still don't understand how to set this up.

Back