Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Superfish

This is what iI already have;
1.300gallon tank double internal overflow and returns
2.3/4 horsepower tradewind chiller compact
3.SWC 1a cone skimmer with askoll pump
4.SWC 140DD calcium reactor double chamber
Tank demensions 79x28x32
What lights would work for a good mix reef ?
What to use for return pump?limited space. Have to be in sump.
every thing goes under the stand
any recomendations on any equipment I need or specific brands.
thanks

Last edited:
the dims. you gave dont add up to 300 gallons. my tank is 72"x18"/24"x24" and its only a 155 gallon, so its probably going to be around 200 gallons

This is what iI already have;
1.300gallon tank double internal overflow and returns
2.3/4 horsepower tradewind chiller compact
3.SWC 1a cone skimmer with askoll pump
4.SWC 140DD calcium reactor double chamber
Tank demensions 79x28x32
What lights would work for a good mix reef ?
What to use for return pump?limited space. Have to be in sump.
every thing goes under the stand
any recomendations on any equipment I need or specific brands.
thanks

Lighting depends on what you will want to keep in the tank. If you are doing lots of SPS then you probably want 4 400watt metal halides since it's 32" in depth. There is probably a T5 option as well but I'm not familiar with them so maybe someone else can chime in there.
The pump, depending on how you plumb it, should be capable of turning over 3-5X the volume of the tank. You may also be able to run other equipment off your pump like the chiller, so you could end up needing something that will do +1500gph at what ever head pressure you have which might not be too much if the pump is under the stand.

I have an 8ft 450 gallon tank that is 30 inches deep. Im only running 3-400watt metal halides and 6-4ft t-5's for actinics and I have sps growing everywhere.

not to but in but its actually 306. volume is calculated by length x's width x's height then divide by 231. which with his calculations is 306.42424.

the dims. you gave dont add up to 300 gallons. my tank is 72"x18"/24"x24" and its only a 155 gallon, so its probably going to be around 200 gallons

If you can do it I would build your own fixture. Use either the lumen arc or lumenmax reflectors w/ a nice electronic ballast and add about 8-3' T-5s for dawn to dusk and you could add moonlights as well. Personally I think this will givee you the best light for the money.

For return pumps I would use 1or2 of the Tunze 1073.040 submersible pumps. Low wattage, little heat transfer and dead silent. Output is about the same as a Ehiem 1260.

Chad

With a tank of those dimensions here's what I would do.

FLOW (this is assuming this is an acrylic tank)
2 seperate closed loop systems each one running a single reeflo dart gold
It would be good to divide by sides of the tank to make organization a bit easier
each closed loop system personally I would put 2 large drains and 4 returns.
Being someone that has run in tank flow pumps for many years and now having a closed loop. A closed loop really is the only way to go, it costs pretty much the same and allows you to fine tune your flow so much more its insane.
RETURN
Eheim 1260, this pump is going to run silent, be very reliable and not horribly expensive for what it is.
LIGHTING
As others have said its going to highly depend on what kind of corals you intend to keep and what kind of reflectors you plan to use. Either the lumenbrights or lumenarc or even the lumenmax reflectors all work well but each has its own pro's and cons so I would cater your choice based on your situation. Honestly I would only worry about going up to a 400w halide unless you plan to keep a good amount of SPS. honestly 250's will work fine for most lps and just about any softy/zoa out there. you just may have to put things a bit higher in the water column if they aren't getting enough light.

Tom

Last edited:
not to but in but its actually 306. volume is calculated by length x's width x's height then divide by 231. which with his calculations is 306.42424.

Its probably closer to 290 gallons when you take the wall thickness into account.

My tank is 340 gallons by dimension but I have 1.25 inch walls (its 44" tall)
So my actual volume is like 300.

Back