Need help with ID on this growth on rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL it looks like a green jelly bean. it also might be some weird sort of algae

Here is one of the images from the gallery:

sample1.jpg

Looks like Bubble Algae: 'Bubble' Algae: Selected Descriptions, Controls and Comments.

Be cautious not to break them open. I have been able to carefully remove them by applying gentle pressure and rocking while pulling...an art form ;). Or you can use a siphon hose to suck them up while performing a water change. This would allow you to remove the spores, should you happen to break the bubble.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Yep looks just like that in the 2nd image that you gave in the bubble algae link

I figured! but hated to destroy it not knowing for sure what it was

Thanks again

Valonia aka green bubble algae. Will spread like wild fire if you burst them. They grow in areas of low water flow.

I have it in my tank too around low flow areas. It grew on my powerheads so I pulled them out and cleaned them!

you asked about spreading - YIKES is the answer! Emerald Crabs are good to eat it.

One though I've had (I have about three little bubbles on the underside of a coral) would it be feasable to remove the rock/coral from the tank, pop them in a separate water source, rinse in fresh salt water and return to the tank?

Shauna, that would certainly work...rinse really well. You might be able to remove them without breaking...just gently rock the bubble back and forth on the rock, or take an old credit card and try and scrape from underneath them.

Or take them out and use a hypodermic to inject them with dissolved kalk and water. Let them sit in the bowl of water for a few hours then they come right off. Nobody likes ph 12

Back