need help with new tank design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RichV

I have a 90 gal now and I am moving up to a 180+. I decided on a bullet shape to go in between two rooms. I'm planning on putting the sump, etc in the basement below. The basement has 9.5 ft ceilings. If I want to see reef from both rooms, how wide should the aquarium be? I'm thinking about 2.5 ft, but I don't know if that's enough. I'm also thinking on glass vs acrylic. Until recently, I though acrylic was the only option here. I just saw a company who makes bent glass aquariums. Weight is not a limitation for me. I'm definitly putting in bulkheads. Is there a way to run the return through the bottom of the tank so that it doesn't drain the tank if the power goes out? Last question, how do I determine what size pump I need in the basement and/or what is the ideal water turnover rate for a system of this size?

Thanks, Rich

Well for a reef you should have between 20 and 40 times the turn over. You will need to know the pipe size and distance for the retrun to figure the pump size. Your overflow does not need to handle all the 20 to 40 times flow but you will need maybe half going to your sump and the other half could be in power head(yuck) or a nice clean closed loop. To keep your tank from flooding during a power outage you will need to set your overflows up right. This will depend on if you have the tank drilled in the bottom ar if you use an overflow box. You will also need to make sure your returns are set at a level ABOVE your water line with a siphon break. this will interupt the line so water will not feed back down it. Check valves may work but I dont trust them.

Richard

Rich when you are going to a custom reef such as the one you are planning you basically pick the shape and size required to fit in your home, so anything you want basically. When dealing with glass tanks you begin to see drastic price increases as the tank gets taller (taller tank - thicker glass) so keep that in mind when dreaming this puppy up.
As per plumbing, the drawback to glass is the amount of holes you can drill in it without comprimising the structural integrity. In saying that their are always alot of ways to do it, we just have to be a little more tricky. When doing an viewable from 3 sides tank most of your plumbing comes up from the bottom and is centered in the aquarium. Do a search in this forum on some of the other tanks that were done this way, it will give you some ideas and get that brain a churning.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Richard,
I started looking through some of the threads. I will eventually figure out the type of tank. It will probably be acrylic, I just worry about scratches. I think a starting point is how to arrange the rock. I'll look through threads for some ideas. One big question I have is why use a closed loop. I thought I could just use the return to feed some sort of spray bar under the rock.
Rich

A closed loop either with a spray bar(not directional) or outlets(directional) is cleaner in a tank that is setup for viewing. I personally would not do a bullet shape for many reasons. One is the cost as you are finding out. The other is distortion, unless the tank is 4 or 5 feet across, even then the distortion is really bad. Spend the money on a good tank, pump and lights. Just my opinion.

Richard

Back