Need help with Reeflo Snapper I need help ASAP.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefLogic

I am Android
So I picked up a used Snapper from a guy on here when I was part of a local club a month or so ago and barely fired it up last night. Initially it just hummed but didn't spin. So I researched, and by research I mean Google, and found that I needed to turn a screw on the back...did it and pump fired up. However it was 2 am and I have a 20 month old and a 5 month old so I killed it till this morning.

Well this morning I tried again and had to turn the screw again to get it started. The pump ran for about an hour then came to a halt. Unplugged it, took apart plumbing to verify nothing was stuck inside, which nothing was, reconnected it and fired it back up. This time it only ran for about a minute sounding like a Vortech on reef crest before stopping. Tried again and again but it would only run for about 20 seconds before seizing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I need this pump running ASAP to migrate tanks. The gentleman I purchased it from offered my money back but I would really rather just get this one running and save the $150 off a new one.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated and if a fix is provided I will try and reward hansomely.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

your problem is in the motor itself.. not the impeller side. with it unpluged spray some electrical cleaning compound in the back where you can see the coils then manually spin the impeller. let it sit for a little bit then plug it back in and let it run. gotta break up all that rust out that our salt water tanks do to the pumps

Where would I find the cleaning compound?

Where do you live? Don't suppose close to me huh? What kinda work you do?

Oak harbor....sounds far....hmm....so some kind of rust cleaner that is safe for inside a pump? Do you know this to work or fix this problem?

Tried WD40 still slowing to stop. :(

Sounds like bearings to me.... Just changed a set on a hammerhead doing the same thing....The pump is 10 years old and runs like new..

Would crc work as cleaner? Its a contact cleaner found in electrical department of home depot

Sweet. Will keep you posted. If this works I will need to know how to meet up with you or where to ship to.

check bearings and seal. Iwork on centrifugal pumps all day long. worst case just disassemble the pump side to exposed the shaft for the pump and turn it on to see if it runs free or binds up. That will give you a definite answer wether its the pump side or motor side. Rebuild kits are $70 online I think,

If it comes down to the bearings(which that's what I believe it is) and you have any mechanical skills. PM me and I will send you the info where I just got my bearings from. Bearings were $3.35 each plus shipping. My pump did the same thing, it would run for about 20 minutes then you could watch it slow down then lock up. Do you have a capacitor on your motor ?

I don't know about the capacitor.....how would I know

Back