need id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sryder

nedd an id to this wierdo. it grew there overnight.

no clue dood :confused: ... it makes it look like a crack though :p .
i do like your zoos with the blueish mushrooms :D.
I hope someone can give you an answer soon.

krish, its realy wierd it looks like pieces have branched out and started growing new shoots. and its definately alive.
wheres nikki with an article......lol

no frag for me - thanks anyway.:p best keep the pups away no telling what it will be tomorrow. Steve is that comming from the rock or just on the glass? Hey are those blue shrooms or just actinics plaing with the green frillys?

i told the kids it will eat them tonight while they are sleeping.
yeah those are the greens being played with by actinics.

brianblack said:
no frag for me - thanks anyway.:p best keep the pups away no telling what it will be tomorrow. Steve is that comming from the rock or just on the glass? Hey are those blue shrooms or just actinics plaing with the green frillys?
its just on the glass....

Did you get anything new lately that it could have hitch hiked? I would watch it but you know me - if it ain't messing with anything or out of hand let it go.:rolleyes: I love diversity. Maybe you could shoot Todd an email since he is a fancy marine biologist and all.:razz:

As for scraping it you don't know if it would spread. if you scrape and don't get it all or a piece goes into the rocks you don't know what it may do. may just die or proliferate to beat the band. I would wait to see if anyone can help with an ID so you may better understand what it might be and not worsen a potential problem. I does not seem to be bothering anything - Just keep an eye out. if it looks like it wants to go to the rock then I would tend to scrape but if it stays on the glass let it fly but you know your own tank the best and could tell if other things are happening. would hate to see a tear down but know where the bubble coral could live:cool: and maybe a few fish.

Last edited:
Sryder,

Just grasping at ideas here... but it looks like the "threads" some types of tube worms send out when feeding to me.

Of course I see this as I'm heading out the door. Do you own a strong magnifying glass? If you do, check to see if there are little polyps on it, and see if they retract when disturbed. It could be a bryozoan, as mentioned earlier. What does it feel like? Does it look like it could be scraped off and moved for a better pic?

Of course I see this as I'm heading out the door. Do you own a strong magnifying glass? If you do, check to see if there are little polyps on it, and see if they retract when disturbed. It could be a bryozoan, as mentioned earlier. What does it feel like? Does it look like it could be scraped off and moved for a better pic?

Now that's the girl we were all thinking about :D .

NaH2O said:
Hey nikki, i was waiting for you. I am working nights so yesterday morning when i got home I went right to bed never even thinking to look at this thing. when i woke in the day it was gone. have no idea where it went. I will be watching for it.

if you have slugs or sea spiders they might have ate it, they eat bryozoan. also beware some species colonies are toxic to fish and release toxins when damaged. also most are immobile but some are moblie and others are free floating. not to worry though its more than likely just going to take up some of the plankton in the water colum. so dont tear up the tank looking for it. if your worried about it harming your tankmates and see it on the glass try to take it out in one piece.

I had something just like that once... it was a deep red. I grew overnight to about that size... then grew slowly for a couple days... then went away. It seemed like either the hermits or the snails got it. I have not seen it since.

Back