Need more flow... tunze or vortech?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dailydriven, I'm interested in playing around with the modes, such as reef crest, etc. For that I really need to get 2 of them synced, yes? Do you think 1 MP40 would get rid of dead spots in my tank? I currently have 2 korelia 3's and a maxijet 1200 modded with impeller for 2,300 gph or something, and I have too many dead spots down low and in areas of the rockwork.

They all have reef crest mode you don't need to sync them. I honestly think you could do two mp10w es in the tank and be just fine that way you can sync the two pumps. Vortechs have a wide spread and good undertow. You can try one mp40 or two mp10's and see how they work. Depends on what corals your doing ie sps, lps, softies etc. One you go vortech you never go back. They're amazing pumps!

I'm very happy with my Tunze powerheads but either way you go you're getting good gear. Both Vortech and Tunze make good stuff and both setups will move lots of water. If you'd like to swing by my place and see mine you're more than welcome to.

Mike

I ordered a MP40 two weeks ago and I returned it.

If I ran pulse mode too long it would heat up
always a HUM coming from the dry side
Needed to spend another $125.00 to connect it to Apex
Only had 4 modes
Loses programming if power lost unless you buy another battery for it, I believe another $125.00

Tunze programming is saved in the Apex, no extra equipment to buy.
Read the back of the Apex manual for different programming it was very easy.

MP40 $430.00
Battery $125.00
Controller Module $125.00
Cable $20.00
Total $700.00 +

Tunze
2 - 6105 with Apex Cable $610.00
You can find coupons save you 5% to 10% just got to look around and ask the forums sponsors. If you find a good deal or extra savings call a forum sponsor and ask them to price match. that is what my wife did.

Call Roger at Tunze and he will tell you what you need without over selling you.
(512)-833-7546

I run 1 MP40 on my 80 gallon cube and it is good flow throughout. I was doing the same thing as you when I setup the tank. I compared tunze, vortech and a closed loop and came out almost the same price for each setup. I like the VT as I can move it around and get the flow I want very easily. I also like that I can hardly see it in the tank. It does take some adjustment to get the alignment just right for low noise. The noise is very subjective. If you have a dead silent tank teh VT can seem loud. If you have a normal return pump & skimmer then you probably won't notice it.

The tunzes are great and proven technology. No arguing that. It is more a matter of real estate in the tank that ultimately steered me to VT.

Customer service at VT is great, as it is with Tunze. I don't think people will argue either of these.

If I had a bigger tank I think I might look a little closer at the tunze setup simply because they are quieter and have less issues (based on posts and conversations with other reefers). Tunze is a solid name, but you pay for that name. It is a glorified powerhead that is orders of magnitude more expensive, but they work and that is what matters.

I would recommend finding someone close to you that has a VT and someone who has the tunzes and see which you like better based on noise, appearance and any other criteria that you have. It's going to be a close choice and I am sure you will be happy either way.

I haven't checked out the Vortech forum over on RC lately but it was FULL of poor customer service complaints when I was comparing powerheads. This and the noise issue is what made me go with Tunzes. I have been around a couple of tanks with Vortechs and the noise bothered me. I bought used ones and had some issues with them but Roger at Tunze replaced both of them with no questions asked and no receipts needed. I have never seen a bad customer service post about Tunze.

Great, thanks for all the good input. I am thinking about picking up some used Tunze pumps from a fellow reefer who I know takes great care of his equipment. He took his tank down, but has a pair of 6101's and a 6045 (Nano) and a controller. That should get some good blow and also give me the nano that I can direct into the deadspots on my rockwork.

I'd be a bit hesitant about getting these used if I hadn't bought a Calcium reactor off him already that was so clean I couldn't even tell it had been used before. :)

Anyway, that should fix my flow trouble and get some idle pumps back in use. Anyone have any issues or comments about the 6101's? They are an older model, but I think they should do the trick

OK, I got my tunze :) Yay. Thanks again beaujames.

Open to setup suggestions. Here's what I have now:
Pumps: 2X6101 and a 6055 (controllable nano)

Since my tank is only 75 gallons, I changed the jumpers on the 6101 to be 15V (instead of 24V)
Positioned them on the side glass in the back aimed at a 45 degree angle towards the front glass, near the top of the tank. Put the nano on the side glass aiming across the tank into my rockwork.

Set up the 7095 controller as detailed by jarhead in this post:
Tunze set ups...How do you run yours? - Reef Central Online Community

They really move some water. Watching the cyano in the dead spots peel away. Gonna have to watch how this program works over time. Now it is mostly coming from the right side of the tank. I guess this sets tide to be around 6 hours, so it should switch to even pulses then predominately from the left side. Anyway, getting some great water movement. Might have to tweak my drain valve to deal with the fluctuating surface level

rob

Back