need replacement pump for Octopus 150

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Hey all, Im looking for a new pump for my Octopus NW 150. My old pump has a split in the wire just as it exits from the pump and Im wondering if the new Sicce PSK-2500 will fit or can it be modded to fit. I already have a gate valve mod so I can adjust things but Im wondering if this pump would be to much. My 150 has a Octopus 2000 needle wheel water pump now so will there be a difference.Can this be done?

It can be done, just not easily...the PSK2500 will push 30scfh into the skimmer, the OTP2000 is pushing around 8scfh into the skimmer. Really, the neck of the 150 will not handle the air of the Sicce. Also, to do it, you need to drill out the stock intake into the skimmer and replace it with a uniseal to accept the new pump.

There are other choices for replacement pumps that would be more suited to that body size/neck size.

It can be done, just not easily...the PSK2500 will push 30scfh into the skimmer, the OTP2000 is pushing around 8scfh into the skimmer. Really, the neck of the 150 will not handle the air of the Sicce. Also, to do it, you need to drill out the stock intake into the skimmer and replace it with a uniseal to accept the new pump.

There are other choices for replacement pumps that would be more suited to that body size/neck size.

Thanks for the reply... Instead of replaceing the pump Im looking at replaceing the whole skimmer, I have had this NW 150 since the start and I think the Octo extreme 160 would be a good replacement because of the limited room I have in the sump.

What size system are you putting the 160 on? The 200 would be a better choice if you've got the room in your sump. The 160 is designed specifically for people with limited sump space...and the 200 is only $10 more :)

What size system are you putting the 160 on? The 200 would be a better choice if you've got the room in your sump. The 160 is designed specifically for people with limited sump space...and the 200 is only $10 more :)

The main tank is a 75 gallon and I have a 40 gallon breeder tank as a sump,according to the estimator's out there I have 115 total system volume. I also do have limited room in the sump. The NW 150 I have just squeezes in the space that I have. I would love to be able to get the 200 but I doubt it would fit.The dimensions of the space is 11 inches wide by 15 inches long by 12 inches deep,but I also have a return line coming from the tank into a 4 inch cpr filter sock holder.

If you have the room, the little difference in price I would suggest getting the 200 over the 160 as well.

Kim

I was just talking to some people at two different online stores and they both assured me the octo 200 will not fit in the footprint of the nw 150 that I have now,so Im going to be limited to the 160 to be safe.I was also told that this skimmer is far superior to my nw and I would be very happy with the skimmer versus my old.

Well now Im a little confused. I was looking for the cheapest price and I found a skimmer called the MSX 160, Is this the same skimmer as the Octopus extreme 160 ? it looks identical except its white in color...

Last edited:
Yep. they are the same, people have reported that the MSX draw slightly more air though.

Thanks guys for your help and Im glad I stumbled upon the msx/swc version of this. Now to find it a good price. Do these also come with two wheels or do you have to but and mod the second?

you want the msx/swc version of the skimmer, coralvue/octopus makes crappy venturis and pinwheels...

You don't happen to know if the MSX200 will inside of a 10 gallon tank do you? Thats about how much room I have to play with and I would rather the larger skimmer.

I do not know for sure, but they do look the same, and I would guess that they are.

Kim

If you have a 11''x15'' space in your sump then the msx/swc 200 should fit in there. It might be a little tight. The FP of the 200 is 10.5''x13

There's a pw coming out for the otp. Premium aquatics is suppose to have it in a week or so.

Yep, I've had one running in a 10g tank!!!

I know who you are now!!! You find your camera cord yet? I would like to see that picture...

If you have a 11''x15'' space in your sump then the msx/swc 200 should fit in there. It might be a little tight. The FP of the 200 is 10.5''x13

I do have a 11'' x 15'' space but I also have a cpr filter sock holder in that same space so I was concerned the 200 would not fit with that.

Last edited:
Back