Need Skimmer Advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Darkim

I have spent about 3 1/2 months setting up my tank and am just about ready to buy the rock and get ready for livestock. However, on the advice of LFS guy I purchased the Red Sea Berlin Turbo Skimmer. I don't like it. The design of the pump seems to be poor. I can't get any decent flow, either water or bubbles through it. Several of my friends with Reef tanks have looked at it and I am getting suggestions to upgrade.

I don't have a lot of room in my sump but either the Euro-reef CS180 or the ASM G-3 will fit (the G-4 footprint is too big). I have read several good things about both. I'm looking for advice about which I should get. Is the Euro-reef really that much better ($200-250 difference)?

I don't think I have taken any short cuts yet, and I don't want to. I want the tank done right, but not spend needlessly. I would like to buy some rock and move forward. So what is your opinions? Euro-reef or ASM?

Thanks

To my understanding they are both really great skimmers. I honestly can't say I've ever heard any bad things yet about either. I was going to get either one myself, but didn't have the sump space so I opted for another skimmer that got great reviews and feedback which was the AquaC EV series skimmer. I have it plumbed externally and it works great! I have a photo of how it is set up if you click on my photo gallery page under my name. Best of luck!:)

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning to wards the ASM. I'm worried though that the G-3 won't be big enough, but the G-4 footprint is too big for my sump. Anyone using a G-3 on 175 Gallon or so?

About 12"x13", and thats pushing the limits. I may have to go with the Euro-reef, its a smaller footprint. The Euro is so much money, I don't if its that much better, but may the only thing that will fit and work well. I want the best skimmer I can fit in the sump. Thanks for the reply by the way.

check out www.deltecusa.us

best skimmers on the market IMO.

I've heard nothing but great things about ASM, but I think a G3 is a little small for your setup. Even a G4 is more suited for a 125g or less.

If you're thinking of dropping the $ for EuroReef, check out Deltec first.
Easily the best skimers I've ever seen in use.

Euroreef and Deltec are really about the same. But all are step down from Bubble King. It like comparing cars really, You have BMW and a SAAB, about the same preformance standards just a different flavor is all. Is it the height of the skimmer? or is it the total footprint, You could always run it outside the sump with a little work. Would that be good or impossible?

Its the total footprint. I can go about 28" tall, but I don't have a lot of room outside of the sump with the two mag-18's and the Chiller on in the area. I think I'll probably get the Euro-reef. Nobody has said anything bad about them, it will fit, and two of my friends are using them already. The bubble king, I've about them a little. Where can you get more info about them. I went to the Deltec site, that option would also work, a little more money than the Euro-reef but not much.

What a great site, if you don't know just ask and her comes all kinds of info to digest. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

Darkim said:
Its the total footprint. I can go about 28" tall, but I don't have a lot of room outside of the sump with the two mag-18's and the Chiller on in the area. I think I'll probably get the Euro-reef. Nobody has said anything bad about them, it will fit, and two of my friends are using them already. The bubble king, I've about them a little. Where can you get more info about them. I went to the Deltec site, that option would also work, a little more money than the Euro-reef but not much.

What a great site, if you don't know just ask and her comes all kinds of info to digest. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

Unless your wanting to pay 2k for skimmer go with euro. Bubble kings are outrageously priced. The do a great job, But man I would never pay that much for a skimmer. Stick with Euro its cheaper and does about the same job as a deltec. I mean how much skimmate does it take to make a reef happy? If you look at Garf pages they recomend Backpacs, So I think your first instinct was correct. Go with that.

Back