Need: Skimmer suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

I am thinking about setting up a AGA 36 gallon bow tank in my office. This will mostly be a reef tank with no more than 2 fish in it.

What type of HOB skimmer can you recommend for this size tank.?

I do not need anything fancy just something the will do the job. My budget for a skimmer is around $150.

Thanks
Kirk

A PCI nano skimmer (with pump)should work , we have them in stock and they are well with in the budget, where are you skimmy?

Mark,

Just trying to get other people's opinions before I make a rationale decision. Having a family of 5, I am limiting on what I can afford.

Kirk

see??? you dont have your priorities straight...:razz:

jk...jk...i understand completely...

i guess the best skimmer in your range is probably going to be the octopus bh100f, it also has a place for your heater and carbon, but the pumps can have issues...seems about half the people have probs with them.
mabye luke33 has another skimmer in mind i am not thinking of

OUCH!!! You sound like my wife..:D:D:D jk..jk..

don't know too much about octopus skimmers, so i will have to read up on them...

can you give the readers digest version on them please.

PS--the octopus skimmer looks like the Red Sea Prizm skimmer...what do you think about red sea skimmers?? worth the money or are they junk?

Kirk

Last edited:
With only 2 fish and minimum amount of LR and LS with good water flow and proper feeding then a small inexpensive skimmer would be fine. This would prevent overskimmer thats not good and reduce the micro bubbles and collect any dissolved solids.

Hey Skimmi, You ever thought of going into the skimmer business?

I could be your first project!:p

i'd say that the prisms are really quite horrible, imo
you'd be better off with a old bakpak skimmer with a sedra 2500 nw pump on it,
or even a mesh modded maxijet.(the pump it comes with)
a bakpak with a meshed maxijet skimms circles around a remora, prism, or sea clone.

i just posted this for someone else, but here you go:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

Back