Need some advice and assistance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newlyreefd

Hi guys. I'm starting a 40g breeder build with 20L sump. And I'm all confused with return pump size, loss of head, what the best plumbing would be and all of the other stuff. I would like a mixed reef, no SPS. I plan on getting a bubble magus NAC 3.5, unless someone thinks there is better around the same price point. And I was looking at the Eheim 1250 for a return. My overflow is 1 1/2". That is all. Any help with return pump size, plumbing or anything you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

That pump should be fine. On the overflow is it a HOB or did you drill the tank? Drilling my new tank for the overflow was the best upgrade I've done yet. It's been Quite and reliable for the last two years. Goggle bean animal overflow

that eheim 1250 is a great pump. that is what I am running on my 40B, 75 and 90 gal tanks. I think you will be extremely happy with it.

that eheim 1250 is a great pump. that is what I am running on my 40B, 75 and 90 gal tanks. I think you will be extremely happy with it.
How do you have your 40B plumbed? By that I mean what materials did you use and exactly how much of it. I'm trying to get an idea of how to plumb my 40B. I really don't have any idea nor knowledge about plumbing. Also would you prefer hard plumb(PVC) even if you might be moving the tank in the future? Or just go with tubing, that being the possible case? Thanks

From the sump pump up I use flex tube, makes it easy to get pump out of sump for cleaning. At the top I use hard pvc (a couple of 90 and a little straight pipe) to get me over the edge and just under the surface of the tank water. How many holes do you have in your tank for the over flow?

How do you have your 40B plumbed? By that I mean what materials did you use and exactly how much of it. I'm trying to get an idea of how to plumb my 40B. I really don't have any idea nor knowledge about plumbing. Also would you prefer hard plumb(PVC) even if you might be moving the tank in the future? Or just go with tubing, that being the possible case? Thanks

A picture of what you have now would help figuring out what you need to do

From the sump pump up I use flex tube, makes it easy to get pump out of sump for cleaning. At the top I use hard pvc (a couple of 90 and a little straight pipe) to get me over the edge and just under the surface of the tank water. How many holes do you have in your tank for the over flow?
I have 1 hole for my overflow.

I'm having trouble posting pics as it keeps saying my file size is too large. I've tried to make them as small as I can and still they are too large. Any suggestions?

overflow.jpg I figured it out. Here is my overflow.

Last edited:
If you plan on moving the tank I would just use flex tube attached to your overflow. Just use something that won't kink or get crushed flat

I'm having trouble posting pics as it keeps saying my file size is too large. I've tried to make them as small as I can and still they are too large. Any suggestions?

download your photos onto photobucket.com then you can cut and paste them on reef frontiers. i never have to resize any pictures.

I have a 40g breeder I'm in the process of setting up and I'm looking for some advice for a return pump. I have a 20L sump, no refugium. I was looking at the Eheim 1250, then I came across the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5. Both got good reviews so I'm stuck as to which to choose. I'm looking for something reliable and pretty quiet. Thanks for all your help.

I have a 40g breeder I'm in the process of setting up and I'm looking for some advice for a return pump. I have a 20L sump, no refugium. I was looking at the Eheim 1250, then I came across the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5. Both got good reviews so I'm stuck as to which to choose. I'm looking for something reliable and pretty quiet. Thanks for all your help.

did you mean to repost your first post?

okay, no problem.
I am a big fan of the eheim pumps. I am using an eheim 1250 in my 40B, my 75 & my 90. I am using two 1262's in my 240 for return pumps. They are very quiet and dont produce a lot of heat.

The gph of the pump you choose should depend on how much flow and the turn over rate you want flowing through the sump. Assuming you'll have wave makers in your display, you won't have to worry about having it as your main source of flow.

Back