Need some guidance for 55 gallon tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

orlandomedic

just today I got this tank for practically nothing from someone who just couldnt take care of it anymore, So I couldnt pass it up. My problem is, since I just got this tank and dont know much about setting up a reef tank, I needed some guidance as to what equipment I would need to slowly start getting this tank to eventually have some soft coral and down the line maybe hard corral.
I know the tank is kinda in rough shape, but since I just moved it I wanna start off right and do things once. I'm in the market for halide lighting, some cooling fans, and a protein skimmer. Can anyone suggest moderately priced equipment and or name brands to look forward to or stay away from. Also, I have read everywhere to get rid of the bio-balls. Should I remove them now? or when I get the protein skimmer? Any feedback would be greately appreciated.

In my opinion I would remove them now. Also if you just moved the tank and sump you may want to watch your perameters because there may have been harmful build up in the bio balls that may have been released into your tank after the move.

Ok, thank you im doing it today. I just bought a good quality test kit and i will make sure I watch the parameters. Thank you.

Here is what I would do:
  • A bigger sump. Drain the tank and slide it away from the wall to put in a new sump from the back or remove that center brace and replace it from the front . A larger sump will let you fit a decent skimmer in there.
  • If you are planning on doing an high light corals, a T5 retorfit kit will work great in that hood

Melev did a center brace removal to put a bigger sump on one of his systems and has a good thread on how to do it:
http://melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html

Yes, get rid of the bio balls and that hood is too small for halide. The sump is debatable. I would to T5's for the lights and vertex makes a great skimmer for the price. Let me know when you're ready for some parts and I'll make you some good deals.

One of the most important pieces of equipment you can but is a good RODI unit. Try the filter guys. A lot of people buy inexpensive units from Ebay, as I did as well years back. But after getting a unit from the filter Guys (and yes a little more $), there is a big difference in performance. Plus support and help especially when just starting out. I would also recommend a dual stage temperature controller,(Ranco). Heaters (I use 2 in case one fails) plug into one end and fans/chiller plug into the other end. You set the temp and the controller turns on one or the other to maintain temp. Perhaps a bigger advantage is that if you get a heater stuck on, the controller will shut off the power to the heater.

All this info is amazing and great. I'm Taking all this into consideration and will be asking away as i progress I'm sure. Thanks everybody.

One of the most important pieces of equipment you can but is a good RODI unit. Try the filter guys. A lot of people buy inexpensive units from Ebay, as I did as well years back. But after getting a unit from the filter Guys (and yes a little more $), there is a big difference in performance. Plus support and help especially when just starting out. I would also recommend a dual stage temperature controller,(Ranco). Heaters (I use 2 in case one fails) plug into one end and fans/chiller plug into the other end. You set the temp and the controller turns on one or the other to maintain temp. Perhaps a bigger advantage is that if you get a heater stuck on, the controller will shut off the power to the heater.

what does most people use for there ro di ub=nit to drain in?

I drain my RO water into 35 gallon rubbermaid garbage cans. I have 2 of em, one that is DI water, and the other is where I mix in salt.

rob

I do the same exact thing is funny though because the first couple of times the water smells like trash can and taste funny too.

thanks. i read about ro units and ro di units ? whats the need in the di part

Back