Need some help on picking out a cleanup crew

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Trike

My tank is just about up and running. I need to start picking out a cleanup crew. I have a 60g cube, around 2" fine sand bed.

This is what I have currently picked out. ~15-20 scarlet hermits since they are less aggressive than the blue legged ones. A scarlet skunk shrimp.

I'm not sure what kind of snails and how many I should get. Any other critters I should be looking at?

As for inhabitants, this is what I plan on getting
clown pair
yellow watchman goby / pistol shrimp pair
firefish
tailspot blenny
some typical corals: zoa's, rics, frogspawn, a little sps.

Thanks!

Well it seems to me like you have it down. Just remember that you can not have too much clean up crew.

I've also been reading that I should be adding CUC's as the need arises. The reason being, that you dont want to starve your CUC if there's nothing for them to eat.
Anyone have any opinions about that?

I'm probably going to be getting a combination of Nassarius and Cerith snails. The Nassarius seems to be a really good sand sifter and detritus eater. The Cerith for Algae control.

I originally wanted scarlet hermit crabs, but from all the reading i've been doing, it's not worth the potential trouble. They are known to eat snails for their shells, and potentially corals.

I ended up getting 8 ceriths and 2 trochus snails.

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. The tank started forming diatoms on the new sandbed, so we'll see if the snails clean it up

Back