Need some help the weekend of October 1st and 2nd

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've had a suction cup come loose before. I trust my grip, I don't trut the seal on those. I carry glass and giant doors for a living. Not that the sups don't work. But there's a reason guys generally use them for sheet glass but don't for windows.

Maybe that's why my boss at Bellevue Screen and Glass never had them, back in the day.

Maybe that's why my boss at Bellevue Screen and Glass never had them, back in the day.
Perhaps, ive been in this business for 12 years. Only used them when carrying or glazing large pieces of plate glass. Sometimes we screw handles to the sides of large doors, but i trust 8 screws over a suction cup any day.

The problem with those things is that they DO fail, not a matter of if but a matter of when. When the seal around the edge gets damaged it wont hold very well.

Not that its common but like i said i trust my grip, i know when its going to give and i can set it down if i need to. suction cups suck at communication, dont date one :)

when the one i was using lost its seal i jumped outa the way, but you might not be as lucky, and it wouldnt be good for the tank.

Thats just my 2 cents. Glazers use them day in and day out but they have no other option. You cant carry plate glass another way or it will cut your hand off.

Well I might try to get some to have on hand just in case anyway. If anyone is able to help out on either the 2nd or 3rd please PM me and we can work out the details. Remember, there is free food involved :D.

Easiest way to carry the tank especially down those stairs and nightmare of a driveway is to use nylon straps. When I moved my 3/4" thick glass 230 gallon tank into my place I used 4" nylon truck tie down straps. Measure them to the right height so when you are standing straight up the tank will be 6" off the ground, and tie a "handle" in the strap. Place 2 straps under the tank and away you go. I trust this strap method way more than suction cups or fingers.
Also when I transported the above tank from south of Eugene Oregon to my house I placed a 2" thick piece of foam in my truck bed to place the tank on. The foam is harder, kind of like styrofoam, so it gives a really stable yet somewhat pliable base for your tank to ride on. I drove 400 miles with my tank and it rode beautifully. I think I placed a piece of plywood on top of the tank to put straps over to to spread out the strapping tension.

Eric, I can't promise anything right now, but I will try a make myself and my F-250 available only on the Saturday

Thank you so much Martin. Saturday is the preferred day for us as well but we are staying flexible in case we get a bunch of Sunday volunteers. I will put you on the tentative list. I know it's hard for anyone to commit this far out but we wanted to give as much notice as possible so we didn't get a bunch of "I wish I would have known earlier" answers.

Nope. No one offering bodies anyway. Danno14 offered up some suction cups, padded dollies and some shipping blankets. I need to call him to set up getting the stuff.

Thanks Adam. We can go at 5am as far as I'm concerned. I will check with the seller and find out the earliest time he will allow us in.

Thanks Adam. We can go at 5am as far as I'm concerned. I will check with the seller and find out the earliest time he will allow us in.

aaaaaaahhhh, maybe 5 am is a little early for me.:eek:

anytime after 7 is good.

I can pickup Marlin.

dang it....I was going to post up a thread for the same reasons on the same weekend.

aaaaaaahhhh, maybe 5 am is a little early for me.:eek:

anytime after 7 is good.

I can pickup Marlin.

LOL. I have a call in to the seller to see what time he is ok with us coming over. Don't worry Martin. I don't think we would be going through OLy before 7am. :)

I am still waiting to hear from the seller. I will let everyone know once I have a time for Sat am.

If anyone else can help it would be great. It sounds like Martin may have limited time and may not be able to do the drop off end in Puyallup depending on time. He had the extra truck too... :( Stupid weddings... Just kidding Martin. Family comes first, ALWAYS!

Well unless there is a way we can strap the badboy to the top of a ford tarus my vehicle is out. But im willing to help muscle it around. I would prefer to not be holding the thing by myself on one side, i have a few ribs pushed out in front of my sternum and when cartlidge pops there it hurts bad and for a long time. I can handle it but just is really gonna suck if i have to by my self

Back