need some help with cycling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a few more questions about things in my tank I took pictures today.. they are in my photo gallery. oh and here is what I'm am running if you could help me a little more

Here are my test results:
PH: 8.4
AMMONIA: 0.0
NITRITE: 0
NITRATE: 0
ALK: 1.6
SAL: 1.025
TEMP: 82 F

MY TANK:
35 GALLON
96 WATT CORALIFE LINEAR STRIP LAMP
1 250 WATT ICECAP HQI METAL HALIDE LAMP
1 HEATER
1 POWER HEAD
1 CASCADE 700 SEIRES FILTER SYSTEM
(LIVE CRUSHED CORAL, LIVE SAND, CLEANING CREW, TWO DAMSALS, 1 BRITTLE STAR) STILL WAITING FOR BACK PAC PROTIEN SKIMMER. and no I am not running a sump I know I probable should.

alk is low..

what is your Calcium (Ca) and Magnesium (Mg) levels?

basically, if you have any detectible level of nitrates, then your tank has cycled.

btw, you most likely will have a brown diatom spike..looks like brown algae all over the live rock, etc..this is normal in a new tank, and can the duration varies from tank to tank...some can last weeks, some days...

just be aware of that this is normal and will pass as long as you do normal water changes..

oh and NC2 if you are still here I clicked on that link your tank is awsome but some of that piping you got looks a little confusing

Hi Fresh, Did you ever have any measurable ammonia, nitrites or nitrates? At 5 weeks and with levels of zero, I'm wondering if your cycle has even started. Where did you get your live rock? Was it from an established tank? If so, you might not experience any cycle.

Looking at your gallery, it appears you have a layer of aragonite sand, and then a layer of crushed coral. Any particular reason you did this? Crushed coral can have some particular problems. You'll want to keep it vacuumed when doing water changes. With live sand, this isn't needed. Also, it appears you have quite a deep sand bed. Sometimes deep sand beds can cause problems and usually take a bit more maintenance than shallow sand beds.

So far, things look good. I'd just be concerned that your at 5 weeks and reading zero levels of anything. You should have nitrates, at least. Unless you started with rock from an established aquarium. 5 weeks is just pretty quick for a complete cycle, from start to finish.

The figi rock with the red coral alge was from a 70 gal frag tank and the other is just some lace rock and I kinda figured the bed was deep. oh and also week 2 my Ammonia was 0.25, PH was 7.9, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate was 10, ALK 2.0, and SAL was 1.021 so that is what I'm basing these thoughts about maybe it cycled already..

I really wanted to do just sand but my buddy who turned me on salt water all his tanks had the same sand and crushed coral on top.. but your not the first to tell me that I might have problems with the crushed corals. and if you don't mind what do you think I should do I really want a reef tank with a few simple corals maybe some shroms, and leathers (should I scoop out the crused coral or is it too late

It's not too late at all. If you like the look of the CC, you can leave it, but it can lead to nitrate problems, unless maintained quite a bit. If you don't like it, take it out!! Your tank will be just fine without it. As mentioned above, you will probably experience a diatom bloom. Your sand will turn golden. Doesn't mean your rich!! Just means your tank is doing it's normal thing. We all go through it, so don't panic. It'll last awhile and then go away.

so you think maybe take out the cc and its safe to do a water change or wait it out a little long and do more test

Fresh,

Yes. If you plan on keeping corals, testing for Ca, Alk, and Mg are a must. Salifert or Elos are the only two kits I would recommend as they are affordable..there are others that some may say are better, but there are much more expensive...

brown algae is normal in a new tank setup, but not red algae..

as far as explanations to my plumbing...take a look at this pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05/521371508/

more explanations are on Page 2.

and if you want the full blown tour of my setup (which includes my water change under the crawl space), let me know..you are welcome to stop by any time, just give me one day notice...

:)

Kirk

Back