Need some opinions on controllers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Mojo, a big +1 for the Neptune Apex. I did alot of research and read a bunch reviews and totally believe I made the right decision in purchasing the Apex unit over any of Fa's.

Cheers, Todd

IME the New DA elite and the Neptune Apex will both do exactly the same thing for you.
There are a couple pros(or cons) to each unit depending on what your needs are.

AFAIK noone uses X10's anymore as a primary outlet source since they are remote and in some cases undependable.

The DA has two, four outlet strips, the Apex has a single eight outlet strip. They are both expandable up to near 70 something outlets if needed.
They both have temp, Ph standard and ORP capability
They both have internet accessibility. AS stated above, the Apex comes standard with internet built in and the DA requires an accessory NET module.
They can both turn off lights in case of too high of temps, control reactors and all of the other wonderful things whole tank controllers do.
The Apex has the programming built right into it including a few fail safes and AFAIK the DA needs to be programmed much like the older Neptunes.
Im not sure if either unit is capable of 240V switches.
Im sure there are things Ive missed but all in all, you cant go wrong with either choice.

Alex, to answer the ? regarding faceplate programming on the APEX. Its quite similar to the older Neptunes and DA's. After a bit of head scratching to learn your new unit, it becomes second nature.

Thanks folks I appreciate the input. It looks like that is the next advancement in the neptune, from x10 to these plug modules. So I guess they use the rk cable to generate commands instead of running signals through your electrical system. I havent really done any price comparison as I didnt know what I would need to put a DA unit together to meet my needs. So do they price out the same?? how about support?? and availabilty?

thanks folks

Mojo

Support is leads and bounds in Neptune's favor. I called them after hours for something I figured out later and when they called back the next day they were relentless....I hit ignore about 5 times before answering! LOL They were determined to make sure I had the issue resolved.

Price wise

a Full Apex = RKE + Net

Apex Lite (Which I bought) = RKE alone....

I don't think you can go wrong with either system. I will say that from my own dealings with DA customer support it sounds like Neptune is better in that regard. One of the factors that I considered when I made my choice is that DA is in Woodinville. I like that I'm supporting a local company and if I get pissed off at the unit I can get in the truck and go bang on their door.

As far as the RKE goes, I picked up system with the Net module so that I can monitor my tank from the Internet or via my Android app. That function alone is worth the cost of the system with the amount of money we've got in these tanks. Trust me when I say it can save your tank. I use it for basic on off functions for the VHO's, MH's, and sump lighting. I use it to monitor parameters. I've got timers that drive my dosers and Standby functions that kill the pump and skimmer for various maintenance functions. I control my heater and the chiller and have the MH's set so they turn off if the tank temp hits 80.

Anyway, get a good controller and enjoy the freedom a little automation can give you.

Mike

Excellent folks and thanks again for the input. mcoomer (mike) I wouldnt run my tank with out some kind of controller. If you take the ozone, uv, kalk ractor, calcium reactor and so on and then sprinkle a bunch of lasy reefer on top on that it would be a nightmare waiting to happen with out something taking care of it for me, lol

Mojo

straight off neptune systems

Up to 240 EB8s can be daisy chained together for up to 1920 switched outlets

A Reefkeeper Elite will control 63 modules in a system. If you're maxing out either of these systems you're probably rivaling Lake Washington for volume.

Mike

LOL their have been times when I wondered how much my system makes up PSE annual budget?? Naw I was not sure about how they relay their signals, with my old one it was via x10 so you were unlimited, For these new ones I knew they used the RK cable but I didnt kow if you could daisy chain them or if the had to port into the main box?? Anyway I got that part now, damm expensive stuff!!

Time to call my buddy Kevin at AD and spend some money.

Mojo

I am going to go with the apex, I have had the aquacontrollers since they came out so it should be easy to make the leap. So I am getting the non lite version with temp/ph/orp/conductivity and then a few of the eb-8's. That and a few accessories for lighting and such.

I have to say it would have been to have DA give me a little input, say like a phone call or a way to call them.

Mojo

Back