Need Something ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kurt

What is that blatter looking thing on my live rock? It has an opening at each end, kinda U shape in body. It is almost in the center on the pic, a little to the right. You can see one of the open ends on it in the pic

DCP_3303_Small_.JPG

Here one of my shrimp and Damsel
DCP_3309_Small_.JPG

I have some tube worms, they are in a hard white calcium looking tube. They come out like a featherduster would, are they ok?

How do I remove the flatworm?

theres hundreds of spieces of flatworm.

its more likely that the one you have is not harmfull...

i would leave it, mostly like your tank will figer it self out, with ruteen

What is that blatter looking thing on my live rock? It has an opening at each end, kinda U shape in body.
Having an opening at each end doesnt sound like the traits of a flatworm to me. More like a sponge.
Does it move?
How long is it?
Almost looks like a stomatella snail in the pic I can hardly make it out in the pic because it blends real well with the coraline algea. I am far from an experienced reefer but I have never seen a flatworm that big in any forum.

I definately cant ID it as a sponge but if it doesnt move I surely wouldnt worry about it. Remember, nothing good happens quickly in a reef, and unless your water parameter are the things happening, it probably isnt worth skipping work for.:lol:

I just came up with the second part. Maybe I should try to coin that in the reefing community.

sorry folks, where's the flatworm?

i only saw a tiny tunicate like creature at near center of the rock

Last edited:
I agree with Angel, all I see is a tunicate, aka Ascidian, Sea Squrit.

What is a Tunicate/Ascidian
http://depts.washington.edu/fhlk12/StudentProjects/Tun.biology.html

What about the shrimp ? It is a Red Banded Coral Shrimp, Stenopus hispidus

That is probably what it is since it looks alot like it. Are Tunicate harmful? Do they require special care?

I have had the shrimp for awhile. I added the pic because I thought it cool how it blends in with the coraline algea.

Back