Need to get an anemone off a rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcoomer

Who's your daddy?!?
I picked up a rose bubble that I'd like to move to my 180 but it's on a piece of rock and won't turn loose. I put it in my frag tank and directed a powerhead in its direction. It's not getting blasted but it's definitely feeling the flow. Three days now and it still hasn't detached. Any other ideas on how to make a nem unhappy enough to pick up and move?

Thanks,
Mike

I've been successful a a couple times doing this with a piece of airline tubing and a small air pump. Attach the airline to the pump cut the other end of the tubing at a 45deg angle or so. Trim the end so its not too sharp. Work it around the edge of the foot gently to coax the anemone to let go. Took me about 15-20 min to do this but worked each time I tried it.

I have used my hands a few times. Just use your fingernails and peel it away. Credit cards work sometimes also. Some say ice works but I have yet to try it...good luck!

I'd forgotten about ice cubes. I've heard that a few times. I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow.

Mike

Last time I tried using ice cubes and go no where. Spent a long time messing with them and couldn't get any of the foot loose. A good turkey baster seems to work the best. I put my hand on the foot and then used my other hand to continually blast it with the baster. Eventually it will start to let go where the baster is hitting the foot. I then kept sliding my fingers under the foot more and more as it let go till it was finally off. All together it took me about 20 minutes but I wasted at like 10-15 messing with ice before I went straight turkey baster.

I second the air hose and air pump. I have had to move mine a couple times when it decided to move near some of my other corals. The air line was one of the quickest methods.

I have held them in front of the return flow for a couple minutes and they usually start to let go.

If they are not stuck into crevices of the rock they can be peeled off with fingernails. You just need the first 1/4 inch then it is pretty easy.
Good luck Mike!

I just decided to move the clown into that tank. I ended up moving that rock down to the bottom of the tank so that it had some indirect flow and the nem obviously liked it because it spread out and got comfortable. Now the 20G has a rose bubble, skunk clown and a green chromis. Done.

We had the same problem and someone recommended that we suspend the rock out of water, with the anemone upsidedown where it was barely able to touch the water. They'll think it's low tide and detatch to get back in the water. This worked for us. The ice cubes - no dice. And the whole he was in was too big and he'd suck in compeletely when we tried to pry his foot.

Plastic spoons and blunt plastic knifes have been a reliable use to extract rosies. I have removed dozens in this manner. Just work your way to the bottom center, insert the knife to prevent animal from re-adhearing and you've won the battle. Gently pry it off...done.

Along the same theme we use the rounded part of a large paper clip to gently work around the edge of the foot. Once you get a little up you can slide more of the rounded paper clip under and lift gently. One little bit at a time and it'll come right off without tearing.

Back