Need to replace light fixture

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

About 7 months ago I purchased an aquarium from another individual who is an electrician who made his own ballast with no identifying marks in terms of power output. There are also no marking on the bulbs so im essentially stuck. I have no idea how long it had been since he last replaced the lights and figured that its time to to upgrade. So as far as I can tell, i need to purchase a whole new fixture.
Im not sure if I should be looking at T5's or Halides. Any thoughts? Below is a link I found for some T5’s which look affordable. What does everyone else think? Also, im sure I need a ballast, right? I have a 55gal with a few corals which im looking to add to. Can everyone give me their opinion. Be cautioned, I dont know much at all when it comes to lighting so be gentle.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+18486&pcatid=18486

Thanks,
Aaron

With T-5's you want a fixture with individual reflectors for each bulb. I'm pretty sure that fixture doesn't have them. The Tek fixture would be a good fixture for what you want. Reefgeek has them for a similar price as that. You also get better bulbs with the Tek.

Thanks for the heads up. How difficult are they to set up? Also, can a daylight as well as actinic blue lights be ran in them at the same time?
Aaron

Demandrid - the existing transformer is an Advance Transformer. The only info I can identify on it is 120V 60 Hertz. I runs 1 MH, and 1 fluorescent bulb. One of the extra bulbs I received with the tank states that its 70W.

Your lighting needs will be dependent on the depth of your tank and what corals you want to keep. With a 55, a 6 bulb Tek 5 fixture by Sunlight Supply would be more than adequate...although I don't know that it would fit over your tank. I currently have that fixture over my 75. You might need to go with a 4 bulb fixture because of the width of your tank. As was mentioned above, you want a T5 fixture with either individual reflectors or a reflector that bends around each bulb individually. Another great option would be 2X250 MH lighting.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I just picked up the two 250W ballasts from Demandrid today. Could pass up free equip. Thanks a ton Demandrid. I look forward to getting it set up hopefully in the next week or so and will let you know how it turn out.

Back