neodymium magnets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That works. I'll try to check into it a bit more while I'm stuck in airports I guess ;). The convention is always a total whirlwind from the moment you arrive. I spoke last time, so this time I just get to relax and enjoy. They already made a sign for our room door saying "Hospitality, Two". It should be a blast :).

Barbie

You need Frag Mags. It may even be cheeper to buy them than make them. They also have cool magnetic rocks.

Don

Don, glad you chimed in. What would be your suggestions on magnet sizes to use when making a frag rack out of egg crate? Coated Neodymium vs. Ceramic? Ceramic on inside and Neo on outside?? Any suggestions?

Dont really know. I can tell you that a tiger shark cleaner uses 2x 1" x 1/2 x 3" on the outside and the same but only 1/4 thick on the inside but they are all RE. You might want to check with the guy that makes frag mags or their web site maybe there is some good info.

Don

Has anyone used liquid rubber(the stuff for handles on tools) instead of epoxy? I would think this would protect as well as epoxy, but it should give a softer surface. It would probably grip the glass better as well. I have been planning to try this, but haven't had time yet. Just a thought.

The magnets I'm looking at are already coated in epoxy. I don't think I'd want to trust the rubberized stuff. It's got colorant in it, probably other toxic stuff as well. Who knows. Also, it's not the rubber or epoxy that grips the glass, it's the magnet. The rubberized stuff would be thicker than the epoxy and may actually inhibit the magnets strength.

If you have purchased epoxy coated magnets, by all means use them. If you have bare magents I believe the cheaper and easier solution is liquid rubber (ex. Plasti Dip). The amount of rubber used is quite small so I believe leaching is probably not a big problem(Please test!). I didn't see any red flags on the MSDS sheet. I think a complete cure and washing of the product would most likely result in a product as safe as epoxy. The choice is yours, but I think this maybe a cost effective solution for those with bare magnets.

Just watch your fingers with these neodynium magnets as they are STRONG

http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/D1803E.html
for the inside.

And maybe something like this for the outside http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/D2506.html who cares if it's not coated with anything reefsafe for the outside half

After using several different neodymium magnet sizes I these are a good choise.
And I strongly urge you to take great care handling the stronger magnets. They will remove skin from your fingers before you can react.:oops:

I had some neo magnets that were about 1" square and like 3/8 thick. Strong as brown stuff and would actually break themselves if you let them smash togather. I tried coating with the tool stuff and it was a pain. took like hours to dry and then wasn't very thick. Probably would have to be done a few times to be real effective. I found that hot glue was the best thing to coat the magnets. Made frag racks and mounted power heads, algea clips and everything with hot glue. best thing is it is quick!

The brand is Castin'Craft with a little black dye.
The mold is the little scoop that comes in the 9lb. container of Start Right. I started looking around and found 6 that I had saved. (why I don't know )
It's 7/8" dia. and flexable

Back