Neptune Apex

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mike,

so what model/package did you get?

to use the remote feature I assume you need to purchase a certain level <?>

I got the following items
Apex controller package (not Light) and the includes a PH probe, EB8 and temp it also has the base unit with it
I got a extra Temp probe
I got a extra EB8 because I needed 9 outlets but now have many extra
I got a Lunar LED 5 for moon simulation
I got a PM2 for Conductivity/salinity and Probe
I got a WXM Vortech Wireless Module for the MP-40s
and a few misc cables..... I also found a really nice faceplate so if I decide to mount it outside I can stain it the same as the stand and canopy so it will blend (per the wife's instructions)

kenargo,

I've been messing with the modem (already broke it once and had to reset it >.<)

Router is linksys wireless-G broadband router
Modem is Actiontec M1000 modem.

All the port forwarding is set up, thats not the problem.

Problem is that my router is doing the DDNS (making it so my house (dynamic IP from quest) is linked to neptune.gotdns.org (via DynDNS). Unfortunately, my router has an IP address assigned by my modem (192.168.0.3), so it is reporting that IP address to DynDNS, which is not a real world IP address.

Been messing with the modem to try to get the actual IP to the router, but I've been through all the settings and don't see a way to do it. When I try to activate DMZ, it all goes down and I have to reset the modem to factory defaults and rerun the intial install CD to get internet again.

Can't figure out how to either:
1) do the DDNS configuration from the modem instead of the router, to get the right IP linked to the web page, or
2) get the modem to give its realworld IP address to the router

I do see something called 'NAT', which is currently enabled. I haven't tried disabling this yet, as I've been working the last hour and a half to try to get internet after flipping the modem to DMZ.

Been through all the menus multiple times, and everything else I've adjusted has either broken internet, or not forwarded the real world IP address to the router (for DDNS to work.)

Any suggestions would be welcomed....

Do I want to shut NAT down? I'm hesitant to mess with it since I don't know about it, and other people in the house want internet access (been down all night)

I see something called

Hmm, it actually looks like its working now. I can hit it up from a web page. Wierd....

Tried this so many times and didn't do anything different. Somethings weird with modem or router.

Hope it continues to work. :)

Apex controller package (not Light) and the includes a PH probe, EB8 and temp it also has the base unit with it
I got a extra Temp probe
and a few misc cables..... I also found a really nice faceplate so if I decide to mount it outside I can stain it the same as the stand and canopy so it will blend (per the wife's instructions)

wow, thats a pretty sweet setup. Let me know how the salinity probe works. I need to buy an extra EB8...

I got a extra Temp probe

Nice :)

You got a display to correct; that should have been part of the package?

Suggestion for the conductivity probe; it prefers slow water movement for best accuracy, no micro-bubbles and dark (like any probe to help keep it from collecting algae). Do this and you will be very happy with it; I have 2 and they work great.

Nice :)

You got a display to correct; that should have been part of the package?

Suggestion for the conductivity probe; it prefers slow water movement for best accuracy, no micro-bubbles and dark (like any probe to help keep it from collecting algae). Do this and you will be very happy with it; I have 2 and they work great.

Oh ya got the display it is part of the package....I have a custom built return line from the pump that holds my probes I can also slow the water down as low as needed so I think it will work.

...I also found a really nice faceplate so if I decide to mount it outside I can stain it the same as the stand and canopy so it will blend (per the wife's instructions)

Faceplate?

I'm thinking maybe you ordered a faceplate for an AC3 or something, because I'm not really seeing how a faceplate would work with the Apex display.

The update fixes some bugs (mosly minor) from previous versions, changes the graphing and adds support for the 2 new modules being released this month; an EB4 (all-ralay, AC control box with heavy duity relays) and the VDM (a modules that can control the AquaIlluminations LED and also includes 4 variable-speed ports for tunze or light controls that can use a 0-10 v control signal).

My hats off to a great member (jrgilles) for letting me invade his home and ask all of the stupid reefer questions I can. Rob I sure am glad I got to see that APEX in work, and guys or gals if you were like me and wondering about the programing of this thing well it has a great web based gui interface that makes it a breeze. I cant wait until the 27th I will be adding it to my system.

Apex

Having seen Ken's setup firsthand I can say it is pretty awesome example of what Apex is capable of. Seeing as he doesnt want to toot his own horn I will plug his site. Mosey on over to http://www.kenargo.com/apexProgram/index.php for all the great pics and info...

Ichthys

ps. Ken that little toadstoll u gave me has tripled in size and has designs on taking over the tank, I am blown away my how fast it has grown.

Having seen Ken's setup firsthand I can say it is pretty awesome example of what Apex is capable of. Seeing as he doesnt want to toot his own horn I will plug his site. Mosey on over to http://www.kenargo.com/apexProgram/index.php for all the great pics and info...

Ichthys

ps. Ken that little toadstoll u gave me has tripled in size and has designs on taking over the tank, I am blown away my how fast it has grown.

Thanks for the kind note and glad to hear the coral is happy and healthy; sounds like you gave it a good home :)

Hey guys,

Going out of town and trying to get remote access to my apex.... wondering if you guys could give me some input.

SO, what I can do:
From inside my house, I can go to
neptune.gotdns.org OR neptune.gotdns.org:75
and get to my apex. I have the port set to 75. No problems doing this ever

BUT, if I am outside my house, I cannot connect (I test the external connection at home using my smart phone, on 3G instead of wireless.

Can't figure out how to get it to connect remotely. Here are some screen shots of my port forwarding on the modem and on the router:

Picasa Web Albums - Rob - Port Forwarding

The link shows the DDNS screen from my router, the port forwarding screen from my router, and the port forwarding screen from my modem.

On the modem forwarding screen, I filled in the fields to show how I did them, but when you accept, it gets added as the string in the text window at the bottom and the fields go blank again.

Hope you guys see something basic that I did wrong....
Modem has the IP address, router is IP address 192.168.0.3, apex is IP address 192.168.1.50

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks to some outstanding help from NWDiver, I got this working! Yay!!!!!!

If anyone needs to set this up using the qwest M1000 modem, pm me and I can help you out.

What solved my problem was bridging the modem to feed data to my router. In the WAN configuration, I set it to the Transparent bridging radio button. I can't recall exactly what it was called, and the modem is now invisible due to the bridging.... but it should be pretty obvious and I can help you out.

Once that is done, you must set the router internet connection type to PPPoE, and put in your quest username and password ([email protected]) for authentication, or you won't be able to get internet.

That fixed my issues (dyndns was already set up.)

Anyway, pm me if anyone else is having issues with this and the M1000 modem (whos firmware is pretty weak)

NWDiver, you've got a nice frag coming to you. I'll grow out a frag of everlasting gobstopper zoas for ya if you don't already have them. Next time we cross paths I'll bring them along. I can't thank you enough for your help. Its been killing me trying to set this up over the last 9 months. Endless resets to factory defaults.....

Back