New additions for the new year

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

Well I've taken the plunge and started the new year off with the addition of a new species in one of my tanks. The tank I am housing these in is fishless and only has a handful of snails, a single koralia circulation pump. I will be adding more photos of these magnificent creatures in the next week.

The following are what are better known as Mini and Maxi Carpet anemones.

Mini Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla Tapetum)
Ease of care- Moderate (experience reefkeepers will do better due to consistency in water parameters); Newbies need not apply.
Water quality- Normal reef parameters
Lighting- Will do well under any type of lighting. As with any anemone, it will move to get the light it wants to have.
Aggression- VERY sticky, will catch a fish if given the opportunity, Mini carpets will eat snails.
Size- Average size is that of a dime to quarter
Self-propagating - When about quarter-sized, the anemone tears itself in half leaving two or more where one was originally.
Feeding- Target feeding isn't necessary, but helps in keeping them happy.

Note: Clownfish will NOT host these little nems.

This is a photo of my mini carpet anemone eating a single mysis shrimp. Yes it is that small :lol:

IMG_0143.jpg

Maxi Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla Tapetum)
Ease of care- Moderate (experience reefkeepers will do better due to consistency in water parameters); Newbies need not apply.
Water quality- Normal reef parameters
Lighting- Will do well under any type of lighting. As with any anemone, it will move to get the light it wants to have.
Aggression- Super sticky, will catch a fish if given the opportunity, Maxi carpets will eat snails. They have a fairly good sting and caution should be taken when handling. Should be housed in a species only tank and/or given plenty of room.
Size- Average sze is 4-6" when fully grown.
Self-propagating - Maxi anemones do not regularly split. This may explain the cost and there not being a very large supply.
Feeding-Should be target feed a variety of meaty foods twice a week.

Note: Clownfish may or may not host the maxi nems due to their larger size than that of the mini nems. I haven't heard of any reports that they will at this point.

The photo is that of my first Maxi nem and the color depending on the light is somewhere from a burgundy to purplish red center with a greenish teal rim.

IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a better photo of the mini carpet anemone. Color is pink around the outside with a green center. Just feed so you'll have to excuse the mouth full of mysis shrimp. :D

MiniCarpetNem.jpg

Gorgeous!! And probably the first time I've noticed someone admitting to owning of these babies - Glad to hear you are taking care of them the right way!!

Thank you :p I think you could say the only way these might die in my care is from to much love and care. *lol*

And yet one more... This one is a very cool marbled green color and I don't really understand why but this one seems to be happy living in the rocks. Guess it doesn't like the sandbed or something. *lol*

MaxiCarpetNemMarbledGreen.jpg

Wow those are cool! do they need reef lighting? or can you have them in really low light, and then just feed them?

Wow those are cool! do they need reef lighting? or can you have them in really low light, and then just feed them?

Like most anemones they need reef lighting and prefer either T5 or metal halide set ups. So answer to your question would be no they cannot be kept under low light set up.

Cheers,
Alex

Very cool, there are several people on nanoreef.com who have them and they look awesome. Definitely envious :)

Thank you. Yes I had noticed a person over on Nano-Reef that had his tank set up with a bunch of the Maxi carpet nems.

Thanks Dan. Their much more vibrant looking at them in person. I think it is because you can see each of the tentacles moving and seeking out food or something. Way cool to watch.

Found that my mini nem started to split last night. Thought that it might the way it had been acting this week. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

MiniNemSplit.jpg

Almost forgot that I finally got around to snapping a photo of my pink and green maxi carpet nem. I also should have a nice blue one in the next couple of weeks, awesomely cool color morph too.

cheers,
Alex

PinkGreenMaxiAnemone12000.jpg

If you dont mind me asking where are you getting these? I had one in my tank for a little while that I was housing for a friend and once I have some more space i wouldnt mind getting another.

If you dont mind me asking where are you getting these? I had one in my tank for a little while that I was housing for a friend and once I have some more space i wouldnt mind getting another.

Getting them from a friend. If you can find these, they tend to be on the pricey side depending on the color morphs.

Cheers,
Alex

i had one just like that... its since moved away from my eye sight but other the years its dissapeered and reapeered... so im not worried

very cool

Well as everyone else has said, WOW, those are really pretty. Best of luck with them and more great pics.:D

And finally recieved my latest maxi carpet nem today. Love the color on this one, nice blue with what looks to be green stripes. It is still settling in and has only been in the tank for a couple of hours now.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_4436.jpg

Back